Building a Roon Digital Audio System

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Based on recent experience with streaming music services, I have decided to jump all in on digital music sources.

I realize this forum is dominated by analog interests (LP, Tape, Vintage Equipment…), but I thought I would share my experience in the conversion to digital and maybe help teach some old dogs new tricks.

I have been collecting CD’s since the early 90’s and have a substantial collection, my main source of music enjoyment… until experiencing various streaming services.

Streaming services provide exposure to massive libraries of music I normally would not have tried or found.

After weeks of research online investigating different options for integrating my CD collection and streaming services, I ended up choosing the roon platform.

Roon consists of three main components:
  • Roon Core
    • Music server running roon operating software
    • Connected to your network
  • Roon apps to interface with the roon core
    • Application running on a network connected PC, phone, or tablet
    • Roon ARC for mobile devices when traveling away from your home network
  • Roon ready devices
    • Network hardware devices capable of interfacing to the roon core (roon endpoint devices) and performing the digital to analog conversion into an audio system
    • Streaming DAC’s, Bluesound Node, Active speakers, Raspberry Pi…

My implementation of roon consists of the following:
  • Roon Core – Intel nuc
    • Running roon ROCK (Roon Optimized Core Kit) software
    • Custom Linux based operating system optimized for audio playback
    • Internal 1TB SSD storing complete CD library
  • Roon apps (subscription service) running on PC, iPhone, and tablets
  • Roon ready device – Blusesound NODE N130
    • Eventually with an external DAC – Benchmark DAC3 L

My build of the roon core (Network Music Server) using an Intel nuc:
  1. Intel nuc single board PC
  2. Samsung 1TB SSD drive
  3. Samsung M.2 250GB SSD drive for storing roon OS and music library catalog
  4. Crucial 16GB DDR4 internal RAM

All components laid out and ready for assembly:

Interesting observations:
  • The Blue vertical strip is a thermal interface pad to facilitate increased heat sink for the M.2 SSD drive
  • Black pads on top of components (top and bottom of lower section) are electrically conductive foam pads to help facilitate a Faraday shield enclosure

External interfaces:
  • Power button
  • USB A & C
  • Headphone jack
  • Ethernet
  • HDMI
  • Power input
  • Mini Display port
  • SD memory card slot

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Next step involved updating the BIOS and loading roon ROCK software on the nuc single board PC. See Here for more details on roon OS and ROCK software capability and feature set.

Significant performance advantages in using a stripped down network connected PC running optimized operating system for audio applications.

I used an HDMI monitor and USB keyboard/mouse for the setup and software updates.

Several YouTube videos go into detail on how to accomplish BIOS and roon software installation, so I wont go into details on basic nuc PC setup...

I ripped my entire CD collection to FLAC files using dBpoweramp on my laptop and then transferred to the nuc internal 1TB SSD. A second option involves storing FLAC files on an external USB drive and plugging that into the nuc.

Once I had the nuc up an running as a music server, I loaded the roon application software on a PC at my desk, my cell phone, and tablet.

The roon application user interface is second to none for integration of your CD quality music files and streaming services (TIDAL in my case).

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Hell yeah. Got the Bluesound Node....
Surprisingly shocked at the great audio quality from the NODE N130.

The hype is real.

Although, following the "always making it better" mantra, I plan to try an upgraded external DAC in the form of a Benchmark DAC3 L. As good as the Node is, it's still built to a certain price point. Specifically the power supply and analog audio output.

Now, if I could only get my listening room setup to the quality level of my equipment... the next project!

C.D.S.

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Italo disco junkie
Hello,

interesting, but i like to know...maybe i missed something, what is the benefit of this instead one pc music server. For example...i have a pc with quite well sound card, foobar2000 for software and on my ipad installed MonkeyMoteHD to control/play all my music.
...or maybe it's the same thing just different name :)

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Hello,

interesting, but i like to know...maybe i missed something, what is the benefit of this instead one pc music server. For example...i have a pc with quite well sound card, foobar2000 for software and on my ipad installed MonkeyMoteHD to control/play all my music.
...or maybe it's the same thing just different name :)
The main difference I see, besides cost, comparing roon and foobar2000/MonkeyMote involves the ability to integrate both CD library content and streaming services with a single user interface.

For me (an old guy with limited learning capability...), having a common user interface for all music content significantly improves the overall listening experience.

Also, having a dedicated stripped down PC running a stripped down OS designed for audio applications eliminates potential performance interaction issues with all non-audio functions of a PC (Bluetooth, WiFi, and other electrical noise generating components).

Not implying your setup is not high performing, I just wanted a common interface with a proven robust HW/SW combination specifically designed for audio performance.

C.D.S.

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Italo disco junkie
Streaming services? like Spotify or Tidal?
i have full control about my internet radios, youtube playlists, my music and even i (foobar2000) using as internet stream radio ( https://cds-radio.listen2myshow.com/ )
I have this for 10 years and till now didn't found good replacement/upgrade acc. to my needs...tha all is controlled by my iPad from chair :)

Need to check this Roon more

Attachments

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Every PC (Windows)I've used with VLC or Foobar occasionally has minor drop outs when playing back digital files stored on hard drives. Why, I don't know.
I can see a advantage to a stripped down and dedicated computer if this issue is eliminated.
Besides, the NUC is small and more easily integrated into the system scheme.
I can see the advantages.

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Running audio control software from any of the available software options can be a very polarizing topic.

Roon developers are very open about running the server software on specific and tested hardware or you could run into potential issues. If using a MAC or PC as a roon core, it may work with one software release, but not others. They can't possibly test every possible PC configuration...

Most people posting about issues with roon functionality are trying to save money by running roon core software on an existing and outdated PC or MAC.

Running roon specified hardware takes that variability out of the picture.

C.D.S.

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Italo disco junkie
Every PC (Windows)I've used with VLC or Foobar occasionally has minor drop outs when playing back digital files stored on hard drives. Why, I don't know.
I can see a advantage to a stripped down and dedicated computer if this issue is eliminated.
Besides, the NUC is small and more easily integrated into the system scheme.
I can see the advantages.
never had any problems with drop outs.
im using light version of win7, Asus Xonar Essence STX, classic power supply(not switcher) and old Antec htpc case...which fits good in my sistem. Size in my case doesn matter.

C.D.S.

New Around These Parts
Tagline
Italo disco junkie
Running audio control software from any of the available software options can be a very polarizing topic.

Roon developers are very open about running the server software on specific and tested hardware or you could run into potential issues. If using a MAC or PC as a roon core, it may work with one software release, but not others. They can't possibly test every possible PC configuration...

Most people posting about issues with roon functionality are trying to save money by running roon core software on an existing and outdated PC or MAC.

Running roon specified hardware takes that variability out of the picture.
aha...so this is more like kit...choosen suggested hardware for software...understand now. Im not looking shortcuts...just someting which can replace my pc.
Was looking for some streamers but to get what i want prices are over im ready to invests. also they have tones of "candies" which are not worth for me.

It looks i will stay with my old sistem...as it just works as i want :)

Skratch

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Life is short, so take your time
What's nice about the Bluesound streamer is its plug and play with the ease of playing MQA music from your phone or tablet

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
Recently acquired a used Benchmark DAC3 L to use as an external DAC and Preamp for the Bluesound Node.

The additional detail provided by the Benchmark DAC is noticeable. It’s an upgrade internal power supply, DAC chip, and analog output circuits.

Although the volume control within the DAC is no P&G of the Aragon, it does provide remote control for input selection and volume.

I’m still working on justifying the substantial cost increase over just using the Node and Aragon combination.

However, I decided to jump all in with digital music and a good DAC is a must (at least I keep telling myself that…).

George S.

Eric, what are those components between the board and the RCA jacks. They look similar to resistors, but more like chokes?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
That is a really nice DAC at a reasonable price (new). Benchmark overall is quite excellent.

I wanted to build a DAC with a pair of those ESS chips, running dual-mono and paralleled converters. That arrangement drives digital noise way down not unlike parallel op amps does for analogue signals.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Recently acquired a used Benchmark DAC3 L to use as an external DAC and Preamp for the Bluesound Node.

The additional detail provided by the Benchmark DAC is noticeable. It’s an upgrade internal power supply, DAC chip, and analog output circuits.

Although the volume control within the DAC is no P&G of the Aragon, it does provide remote control for input selection and volume.

I’m still working on justifying the substantial cost increase over just using the Node and Aragon combination.

However, I decided to jump all in with digital music and a good DAC is a must (at least I keep telling myself that…).

Eric,
This whole project is fantastic. I know how good this must sound as I use a similar setup, but have a dedicated PC (I know...the limitations of that :)) and am using a Schiit Gungnir DAC, coupled to an Aragon 24. I play a lot of vinyl, so the regular (not SP, Sans Phono) Aragon works best for me. I have gone through the Aragon, and the IPS power supply so I know how good that pre can sound. The external Gungnir DAC sounds so good with my digital files. I have many CD's and you really put a bug under me to rip them to FLAC files accordingly. Streaming music is fabulous through the system, and I run my CD player through the DAC, but to have everything filed, and categorized, would be great. The remote control is an added bonus too.
Really nice job on this, first class.
Thank you for including so much detail...............and we get to listen through a fully WOPL'd amp !!!!

Last edited:

Hexis22

Chief Journeyman
That is a really nice DAC at a reasonable price (new). Benchmark overall is quite excellent.

I wanted to build a DAC with a pair of those ESS chips, running dual-mono and paralleled converters. That arrangement drives digital noise way down not unlike parallel op amps does for analogue signals.
Thank you for introducing me to the Benchmark brand in previous posts.

I did not even know they existed before you recommended, they don’t have significant presence in many of the mainstream reviews and publications.

I really like their design approach, as well as completely designed and assembled in the US, a rare combination in todays high end audio.