Budget DAC Apple AE

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
I stumbled across this review of the updated Apple AE. I have used the original version now for 5-6 years now. I have always thought it did a good job but does anyone have opinion on the charts, graphs in this review? I know we have quite a few techs here that can interpret these much better than myself. The newer AE has a updated DAC chip, AKM- AK4430, than my original that has a PCM2705 Burr Brown unit.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/airport-express-audio-quality-2014.htm

i ask as I am thinking about updating to the new version while I'm in the midst of upgrading my system. I know, I know all the analog guys will pooh-pooh this and I get that, eventually I will get back to some vinyl (and get belts for my DOA cassette decks) but for now it's all digital for me.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Me too...and have been for awhile...although I have heard some EXCELLENT vinyl sources and vinyl......and it's expensive.

An interesting unit you linked. Don't know enough about testing digital to say but what I do understand about it is good....

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
They compare it to a Sony unit- and it looks like it's pretty damned good.

(How hard would you laugh if I told you that sometimes I connect an iPod to my system...)

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
Yeah Mark, he is comparing it to a Sony SCD-XA777ES SACD. Appears to perform very similar, also has a Toslink out to run digital to an outboard DAC for a later upgrade.

Lee,
is a 2 volt output ok for use on a WOPL700 or would that be an issue connection directly without a preamp? I believe 2 volt out is standard on some CD players.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, a 700 requires 1.75 volts input for rated output. With 2 volts you should be good for 450 to 475 out...

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks Lee, good info.

is there an upper end of volts rms the 700 WOPL to watch or be careful of?