Bridged Phase Linear series ll

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I could not wait
Soooo After full power testing is now done. We are short of the 750 Watts I hoped for. Very low THD+N at .12% unweighted at 1k. Will test higher frequency when the wet load bank is done

got 55volts or 378 Watts into 8 ohms. Did not heat up or blow up. Serious drop on rail voltage, so we passed the power supplies ability to charge the 18,000uf caps. Still makes a great amp in stereo or as a bass mono driver.

Last edited:

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I could not wait
Soooo After full power testing is now done. We are short of the 750 Watts I hoped for. Very low THD+N at .12% unweighted at 1k. Will test higher frequency when the wet load bank is done

got 55volts or 378 Watts into 8 ohms. Did not heat up or blow up. Serious drop on rail voltage, so we passed the power supplies ability to charge the 18,000uf caps. Still makes a great amp in stereo or as a bass mono driver.
Just was thinking and I had this running through the varic supply so will hope for better results when I test again. Right now playing Grover Washington and working great.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Tested the amp again tonight with it plugged into a wall socket. Got 68 volts output before l blew the main fuse. So that is 578 Watts. Very low distortion
Do not want to push the transformer over spec fuse at this time. Good enough for me.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Both channels driven?.
Lee I have the two channels hot leads (red and white binding posts) making a mono channel. There is no connection to the black binding posts whatsoever. So this is the bridged setup. Could get more out of it but this is enough at this time

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I think I have it now Glen.
What was the rail voltage at thatoutput??
Did not measure it as it is alll buttoned up. Should be closer to 80 volts on each rail.

When I get the load resistor finished I will run it up again and do a full spec on it. Still not sure if I will try more than a 10 amp slow blow fuse. It has fast blow 10 now. It looked like it would have gone to 700 or so Watts. The input voltage was between .7amd.8 volts so the control board is not stressed. I put in Joe’s capacitor setup with 100 volt caps totaling 18,000u each rail and a 40amp Bridge rectifier. It has Don’s DCP as well. So only worries are transformer and possibly the outputs.

When end it is bridged the amp sees a 8 ohm load as 4ohms hence the large power increase

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
In theory, it should quadruple the output. Each channel amplifying only the top or bottom half. So, if it's close to 700 , it's closer to 4 times than 2 times....interesting...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Damn Glen, These things dwarf the caps we use in the 700 wopl's...... I'm gonna need a bigger Chassis. I hope to work on my Mono Boards in the next couple days.... Just got a few components to change out. They should really Kick some ass in the 700 configuration. The 2 big torroids, and these big monstrosities, should help keep the rail voltage up and steady. I see a "Brown Out" happening soon.:sad2:

IMG_4457.jpg IMG_4456.jpg

THD+N

Journeyman
My stock 700 Series ll that I tested in mono (years ago) put out 1100 Watts RMS into a single 8 Ohm load. This mono test was easy to implement with the AP System One because you can invert one channel from the AP to the amp. Then you simply use the 2 amp "hot" outputs for your load.

I used 8 amp fuses for the rails and I think I bumped up the main line fuse to 12 or 15 amp for the mono test. This info is in the 700B service manual. Nothing in the 700B about mono, but only regarding the supply and line fuses.