Bob's 4 WOPL 400 builds

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Like a kid in a WOPL candy store.
I'd push mine with a Marantz 2325 receiver (125/ch) and that was barely enough in a small apartment. Figure the 400 would do nicely. Good thing I have a 400 AND 700 waiting to be rebuilt. Maybe there's another set of Maggies in my future. I have a feeling the match up with a WOPL 700 would be magical.
I agree. Marry the two for pure listening magic.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
You won't be disappoimted. I've sold a Bryson, SAE, SPEC 2, DENOM, THEY COULDN'T hold a candle to the WOPL's. ..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
And had a Bud in Phoenix, Az, put up his Parasound and Mark Rowland...and a 2105 Mac when he got his WOPL 400.. He's waiting patiently for his 700....

nelsress

Journeyman
Welcome Bob

Good to have you! Nice work on your boards and the creativity in your multi-board holder piece, very cool. Not sure what Fred's referring to regarding the fact that you "came out" on the forum the same day as Caitlyn Jenner came out but I think I'll let that sleeping dog lie. :)

Nelson

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Good to have you! Nice work on your boards and the creativity in your multi-board holder piece, very cool. Not sure what Fred's referring to regarding the fact that you "came out" on the forum the same day as Caitlyn Jenner came out but I think I'll let that sleeping dog lie. :)

Nelson
Thanks. Ya, I think that's going to be a funny one to watch.

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I can't wait to hear what you think of the WOPL 500's when you have them done. I have a pair of MG-IIIA's as well. but they have been out of rotation for so long. Wonder what they would sound like if they were WOPLized? Anywho, you are in for a real treat, and perhaps a total thrill, when you hear a fully comp WOPL for the first time. I was comparing to a QC WOPL and I could not believe it... It truly is jaw dropping. The best amp in America. I hope you are as satisfied with the sound as I was.............. but

You will end up dong a 700....now those are the ABSOLUTE $#!^... .

Thank you Joe.......

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
I can't wait to hear what you think of the WOPL 500's when you have them done. I have a pair of MG-IIIA's as well. but they have been out of rotation for so long. Wonder what they would sound like if they were WOPLized? Anywho, you are in for a real treat, and perhaps a total thrill, when you hear a fully comp WOPL for the first time. I was comparing to a QC WOPL and I could not believe it... It truly is jaw dropping. The best amp in America. I hope you are as satisfied with the sound as I was.............. but

You will end up dong a 700....now those are the ABSOLUTE $#!^... .

Thank you Joe.......
I have no doubt that I'm going to love these WOPL "500s" as much as everyone els. And your probably right, I may want to upgrade to the 700s. We'll see. Went to assemble the four Don Imlays Out;ut Relay boards but found that the R1, R2 resistors were wrong value and missing a couple caps, all ordered from a distributor. So, off to Fry's Electronics tomorrow morning to get that stuff. Got pretty busy so the WOPL project slowed a bit but I'll get there. Hope you stored your Maggies in warm dry place as the wires tend to corrode and open up. Magnapan unfortunately used and still uses to this day, if I'm not mistaken, a coating that was susceptible to moisture. The Maggie IIIs that I got a while back had problems because they had been stored in a cold storage space so I got them for a low price. Had the tweeter ribbons rebuilt by Magnapan for 2 X $300 so 600 bucks plus ship. Also got the rebuild kits from Magnapan as well. I'm using DAP contact cement for the coating that holds the wires down. Wont see that problem again even if stored in a cold place. The speakers them selves looked good except when I took the covers off I could see that some of the wires had corroded away. Will initially test the WOPL 400s on the Maggie MG-12s but then add the Maggie IIIAs to the mix. I can't wait.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Bob, just a reminder...the Zoebel network on Don's boards need to be left off as those are on the backplanes....

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Finally got back to the WOPL build. Finished the WattsAbundant DC Protect boards (WA DCP). Installed the C3 cap after the fact. IMG_2215.jpg IMG_2218.jpg

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Thanks Lee. Say I have some questions for you or Joe. I just did the backplane check on my first of the four and got 90mV on the left channel and 65mV on the right with the voltage between B+ and B- at 80VDC. They actually reached those levels just as I started bringing the voltage up with the variac and maintained those two voltages through the rest of the increase in the variac. In the procedure Joe states that 100mV is acceptable but typically you will see much, much less. One that he had tested just before this procedure was only 1mV. What do you think may be causing this higher voltage?

IMG_2230.jpg IMG_2228.jpg

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Was the DC protect board powered up? I think the tolerance of resistors, contacts, connections, etc can explain this variance. Note, those readings indicate everything is fine....

But for the last word on this....that will take Joe.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Thanks Lee. Say I have some questions for you or Joe. I just did the backplane check on my first of the four and got 90mV on the left channel and 65mV on the right with the voltage between B+ and B- at 80VDC. They actually reached those levels just as I started bringing the voltage up with the variac and maintained those two voltages through the rest of the increase in the variac. In the procedure Joe states that 100mV is acceptable but typically you will see much, much less. One that he had tested just before this procedure was only 1mV. What do you think may be causing this higher voltage?

View attachment 20927 View attachment 20926
Bob did you connect the 10k load resistor to the output as instructed for this test? Remember the DC protect screws up your connection to the output binding posts

audiobob

Journeyman
Tagline
Hi Joe, yes I connected the 10K resistors, one each to each channel, with nothing connected to the DC output board except for a couple grounds. The resistors are connected via alligator clip leads. I'm going to try using a small contact block and see if that helps.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The outputs from the backplanes have to be connected to the speaker outs. Go ahead and finish wiring the DC protect board.