Black Sabbath

BlazeES

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I love Sabbath, but for some reason I feel more fear than excitement about this. How many worn out rockers trying to recapitalize on glory days...?

Man, I hope they get it right, cause when they did...magic!

Zach
I'm with you dude...

NavLinear

One of my favorite bands - their first three albums are the ones I like the best. Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were also quite good IMO.

It'll be interesting to hear the new material. Any other original band members? I should follow your links - I'll probably get my question answered there. Thanks for the heads up on this.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
One of my favorite bands - their first three albums are the ones I like the best. Volume 4 and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were also quite good IMO.

It'll be interesting to hear the new material. Any other original band members? I should follow your links - I'll probably get my question answered there. Thanks for the heads up on this.
All original except for no Bill Ward on drums.

The drummer, Brad Wilk, from Audioslave & Rage Against the Machine, was session on the album and I assume will tour in support.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
"Ozzy.. OZZY.. the mic is over HERE... " :iconbiggrin:

I'll be watchin for it in any case.. it'd be interesting to hear how they sound after all the years.
Yeah there's that too!
But he still hits the notes though..

clhboa

Chief Journeyman
All original except for no Bill Ward on drums.

The drummer, Brad Wilk, from Audioslave & Rage Against the Machine, was session on the album and I assume will tour in support.
I wonder why they didn't use Vinnie Appice from the Dio line up?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
If they remastered their stuff onto disc, can you imagine?? Haven't heard any Sabbath on my system for probably 20 years. Been some improvements since then.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
If I'm not mistaken, that LP collection is built off of the digital remasters that were released on CD a few years back.
The CD collection, at the time, was relatively inexpensive and an improvement over the the prior, original CD releases; the latest have no "loudness war" applied in other words.
I own em. They certainly are improved but I still believe the NEMS import LP's from way back are superior. Reviews of individual 180g Rhino disc releases have been favorable too.

And I agree, $299 for this LP box set is too much..

Last edited:

BlazeES

Tagline
---
If I had the money I would buy it. These are remasters from the bands archives. Investment.
Maybe if they were designated as "limited edition". But their import vinyl is certainly more collectible, harder and harder to find and remember, we are talking about Black Sabbath here - not The Beatles.
I myself don't even consider the recently released Beatles on vinyl - culled from the 2009 digital remasters - collectible.

A Black Sabbath set like this is primarily attractive to completists and to anyone else who wants to one-stop-shop for Black Sabbath on vinyl IMHO.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I stand (self) corrected, I popped over to the official website:

The Vinyl Collection: 1970 - 1978 Limited Edition Box Set Announced

BLACK SABBATH
THE VINYL COLLECTION: 1970-1978

LIMITED EDITION BOX SET | RELEASE DATE:

12/12/12

Still don't think it's worth it..

Last edited:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
I can almost guarantee that it will be worth 299.00 and more never less. The one Eagles I have is from 2 to 400.00. I didn't pay that. The new Led was 10.00 higher than when I ordered it.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
I can almost guarantee that it will be worth 299.00 and more never less. The one Eagles I have is from 2 to 400.00. I didn't pay that. The new Led was 10.00 higher than when I ordered it.
I don't know about that. Maybe so.
But you piqued my interest on learning more about this set, and there seems to be some issue with the packaging and/or shipping of these - when they were available on Amazon last year.
Appears now that Amazon doesn't offer them anymore. Interesting. Amazon's feedback section is fun reading too! :iconbiggrin:

Dug in further at MusicDirect, a highly respected Analog company, and found this:

Availability: Awaiting Repress

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-111263-black-sabbath-vinyl-collection-1970-1978-9lp-43-7-box-set.aspx

BlazeES

Tagline
---
Saw that Soundstagedirect link on your previous post.
I wasn't trying to promote one site over another btw;
just wanted to show the "Awaiting Repress" status on MusicDirect.

Sanctuary Records. Meh. Don't trust em.
This set is still over-priced and obviously had production issues.
I say, avoid it. The Rhinos work well enough if you need "new".

Personally I don't buy box-sets for the sake of buying box-sets anyway..