BINGO! Finally got 'em!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I got off the phone with a Craigslist seller and Monday I'll be buying another pair of Polk Audio Monitor 4s!!!

My 90s Sansui AV receiver will finally have two real and capable speakers and they are just the right size for the cramped space in there. The 8" pairs I have are too large and Minimus-7 too weak...three bears kinda stuff.

For their size and sound the M4s were probably the best speakers out when I got out of high school.

I started with a stray that had no midwoofer and added an MW6510 for a while before I found a mate and dropped the matching MW6502 in. If I send the tape output from the Oprimus mini-receiver that powers them over to the Pioneer VSX-D407 and Marantz Imperial 5s Thor grumbles about the noise level :D

00K0K_7Jm9FEFvs0z_600x450.jpg 00r0r_kynS94jkAcR_600x450.jpg

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I’m glad you got your perfect speakers!

I picked up some Polk speakers a while back from the thrift store. No labels so I don’t know the exact model but they are somewhat similar- probably a bit newer. Do you know the model?

And it seems they are better than I give them credit for (I e not listened to them- only tested them briefly) 61A2DF6F-D7D9-400D-A1BB-D5AFDF31B27F.jpeg

orange

Tagline
Not offhand but Polk Audio owners are about as fanatical as you are for TDK I think. I've just never thought to join their forums. M4s are about as unadorned and practical as I could want.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I remember the ads with the dude standing next to those tall speakers...

But I never went for them really. I did prefer them over Klipsch at the same price point, but I didn’t buy either at the end of the day.

I think the Thiels are pretty special and maybe some day I’ll move up their food chain a bit.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
After Matthew Polk sold the company, it wasn't the same, which might explain the difference between the M4s and yours, Jim. Yours look like post-Matthew Polks but pre-LSi. It took the LSi series to get Polk back in the game 20 years ago. I enjoyed my Monitor 4 jrs a bunch back in the 80s. I recall them being very neutral for the day.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Unfortunately, the rear labels are gone from both.

They have a bracket on the back to wall mount, if that helps identify them.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I spent way too much time trying to find out what they are and came up empty.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
How are the old 7C speakers? I have an offer on a pair and I thought they might be a better fit with my big old Kenwood junk.

It seems since Polk has Ben assimilated by the evil Borg, they don’t post ANYTHING about the legacy that got them where they are.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Don't know. I'd say since they are from the MP era they're pretty smooth and neutral in that Cambridge/MIT way. I always thought highly of the entire Polk line when Matthew was desiging.

orange

Tagline
They are here and working and I'm sure that I haven't been this happy to spend $110 in like maybe EVER.

orange

Tagline
Used to have jello wrestling and beach volleyball at one of the local bars, much cheaper.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I wonder if the Polk forum would know which speaker that dual ported box is. It does not show up in pictures. Maybe it was a rear speaker in an HT set up.

I had a set of the M4. They were nice but a friend bought them so he could set someone up with a rig. My new small speaker is the NHT SB3 I could live with that as my main for a period of time until I figured out what the issue is with it. They are nice.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
I think the (some letter)-15 speaker is similar, with two ports, but the ports are up between woofer and tweeter, not at the bottom as mine are. And smaller diameter.

But yeah, I can't find ANY pictures of the speakers I found. CLEARLY they are a super-rare factory prototype worth MILLIONS!!!!

nakdoc

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
highly biased
Check the original 5,7,10, and 12 Polk woofers B4 u buy. The magnets separate causing the voice coil to rub. If the woofers are ok, apply a bead of JB Weld epoxy between the magnet and frame.