Best Preamplifier Processor for AV Home Theater

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
What does everyone here use for AV premp- processor duty?

I have a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 which I have been using for a long time, but I don't want to miss having something that might be much better.

There are tons of used pre/pros out there, like Emotive, Lexicon, PreSonus, Marantz that might be much better units than the Newcastle. I don't need 11.1 or anything like that....I am just seeking the opinions of the experts to see what everyone is using, and what those who can measure these newer offerings might have to say.

It may be that I already own a great unit....I just don't know.

Skynyrd77

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
lost in my own world
I'm running straight 2 channel here. I haven't had a a/v setup in 7 years. I know there's plenty to choose from these days. I know I have seen some nice marantz stuff and read good reviews but have heard none. Sry for the ramble with no help lol..

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
That is a nice AV Pre-amp you have now. Unless you want more features such as HDMI, USB, WIFI, etc.
Check out the New Marantz AV7702, Its got it all going. Marantz AV gear is hard to beat, but high dollar.
I have an older Marantz AV9000 Pre amp. This was one of the Basic 5.1 units that was made in Japan before most assembly
went to China. For just basis 5.1 or Analog two channel its a great preamp and can be found cheap, since folks have moved up to more features.

Last edited:

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
Yeah I've noticed on crutchfield and other places a lot are like a computer lol. They have wifi,hdmi,Bluetooth,siriusxm,spotify all this stuff built right in. It's pretty wild.

Nick Danger

Lots of great stuff out there to choose from, Sutton. Are you looking for new or used? Do you have a preference to any one brand? Are you looking for HDMI connections?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What does everyone here use for AV premp- processor duty?

I have a Sherwood Newcastle P-965 which I have been using for a long time, but I don't want to miss having something that might be much better.

There are tons of used pre/pros out there, like Emotive, Lexicon, PreSonus, Marantz that might be much better units than the Newcastle. I don't need 11.1 or anything like that....I am just seeking the opinions of the experts to see what everyone is using, and what those who can measure these newer offerings might have to say.

It may be that I already own a great unit....I just don't know.
Outlaw Audio 990, no longer made but is available on the used market and a great 7.1 unit. Outlaw started remarketing Marantz which disappoints me. They used to bring great, unique offerings to the market. Seems they lost their design mojo somewhere along the road. They suffered a setback on a design they were working with Sherwood on and never seemed to recover from that.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have two AudioSource decoder amps, SS Two? Dolby Surround (4) and SS Three Series Two (5.1), both with line outs for a separate amp or amplified rear outputs, center on the SS Three.

If had my druthers for another dedicated AV receiver, I would settle for a Pioneer VSX-455 but I see the one that was available recently locally is gone now. I had an Onkyo DR-90 that sounded great with music sources but the Darlington pack on it isn't probably as robust as it needs to be, had a side out when I got it, searched hard for a replacement amp pack and the next owner said it died in about the same way. It was really nice in that it did have a built in DVD player, something that wasn't that common then.

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
I don't know how you will beat the P-965 ..... without spending a lot of money... The darn thing will do anything ! Just a little complicated to operate sometimes !!! :scratch:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Oh.....but one does not have an opportunity like that presented to himself everyday, so.......:hello1:

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
I really do like the Newcastle I have. I looked at the Outlaw you mentioned Joe, and yes, it is nice. Just cruising the Bay, there is so much stuff out there, I thought I might be missing the boat, but I do not want wifi or any of the other stuff (that can malfunction). I just want a great 5.1 to 7.1 pre/pro. One with impeccable performance. I guess I already have that. The Outlaw does look good though. I think the Outlaw prior to the one you refer to, was a rebadged Newcastle.

I do not want anything new or high dollar.

Thanks for all the comments. I was afraid there was a great pre/pro out there that might be better than the P-965 for $200.00

I am very happy with the Phase Linear 3300 ser II (which Lee rebuilt) for stereo. None better...

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
Is the PL 3300SERII the best preamp on the planet?

Did Bob make a better one?

Another thing..........a PL 700SERII........is it a good candidate for a complete WO'ing?

I seem to remember some comment concerning the noise created by the LED meters. Is that a problem which can be rectified by using newer LED's or does this unit have more problems than a 700b?

I'm just curious how a SERII compares with the b ...I am assuming they are the same as a 400SERII as far as WO backplanes and PCB, etc fitting the chassis...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 700 Ser I I of Pr zems is the quietest 700 to date. IF the LED's were noisy it was certainly not present in the signal path.
They are certainly candidates for a WOPL.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I shall. A very lucrative endeavor when the owner of said transformers said" get what you can and I'll split it with you".....all I have to do is load em......so what now smartass???:hello1: