Been Lurking Too Long He Says

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Hello Everyone,
My name is Mark and I am hopelessly addicted to professional sound reinforcement (loud music reproduction). I am mostly old-school with a fascination with tube amps but not afraid of the little cans and plastic things with wires sticking out. My other audio pastime is a failed career as a bassist. I play (play around) with a Gibson EBO-L, Ampeg tube amp, and 4x12" bottom with JBL 2206 drivers. I also play through a 1000W MOSFET amp that I built myself. It makes a lot of noise but not much bass music.

My 5.1 home theater uses a Marantz 2285 through a Marantz DP870 digital processor, a Sound Valves VT-70i (a Dynaco clone) for the rears, and I use a Dynaco Mark IV tube amp for the center channel. I drive four JBL L-36 cabinets for the mains and a 15" Titanic subwoofer on my own box powered by a Crown MicroTech 600.

For fun I refurbish and mod power amps and they have a way of turning into full equipment stacks, which is not a bad thing I guess. I recently completed an upgrade on a Hafler 220 amp (standard stuff - gold connectors, star grounding topology, updated electro caps, bypass caps, and IEC filtered power plug). Then I had to get a Hafler IRIS preamp; this one had none of the IRIS bus cables, so I made up two sets of those. I found a remote in an upstate New York Craigslist and the IRIS CD player and IRIS FM tuner soon followed.

All this goodness gets dumped to a pair of "garage speakers" that I recently built. They look like stage monitors or small DJ speakers. The drivers are a JBL M115 musical instrument speaker and a JBL 2426 horn driver mated to a 2370A dispersion horn. I used an 800hz 3110 passive crossover and they are so loud that I can hear them clearly across the street (they are in the living room).

My current project is a Phase Linear 700B that was abused in a nightclub; I say that because the inside had a layer of goo in it and it smelled like beer. I have the associated Phase Linear 2000 preamp, 5000 tuner, 1000 signal processor, so I just need to get the amp up and running. It has all the original parts including the 20 output transistors with 1974 date codes and they all check good. I was getting ready to get into it recently until I found out from another board member that Joe over at White Oak Audio has come up with a new design for a Phase Linear main board. I am on the list to get one and I can't wait because Joe's stuff is really good.

I'm happy to be here.

Mark

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well, well, well, and who would that other board member be HUMMMMMMMM.....???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Welcome Mark!!!! It'll be nice to have another PL nut on board!!@!!!!

for those who don't know Mark and I have conversed by e-mail for a year about..........yep Pl stuff, good man, glad you're here!!!

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to our Forums,,I can feel for you about Guitar playing ,,my old instructor told me Id have to take lessons for the rest of my life just to Suck

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
It's wonderful to have you join our forum, Mark. Hey, you've got great panache in delving into upgrades for your vintage components. I, or rather we, have seen what can be accomplished with the PL-700B through Lee's 700B refinements, he has kindly made available for us. Besides Larry, Lee, and now yourself, that's a strong contingent of Phase Linear users. The new White Oak circuit board will only enhance what's already a good staring point by the original manufacturer.

You have an interestingly kick-arse set-up in your home. Do you live with anyone else?

Nando.

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hey Mark, great to see you here! Dive right in and enjoy the camaraderie here. We're a small, slightly crazed, but audio-fanatical bunch of folks!

If you need help with the forum, or any suggestions just let me know.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Montage????"? Was toledo the height of culture for you this year???? Your vocabulary has reached new heights!!!! As well as your spellcheck!!!

This was done per Stu's instruction's of 6-24-11

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Thought that would get a rise out of some one. LOL I'll have you know I clepted freshman college english and math. Can you believe it. LOL

Larry

speakerman1

Tagline
LOL I guess I lucked out. Only need 3 subjects to get my assoc. degree. English 1A, poli si, and an elective. Should have done it; but I was busy raising 2 boys at the time. Working and going to school. I had custody of the boys. Now quit picking on me. Do you have and hard rubber at the shop. About a 1/4 inch thick and 3/4s square.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Well yeah, acres of it man, we got coal mine up here with conveyor belts miles long and they do wear out. Quit picking on you???? When i'm pushing up Daisies!!!

speakerman1

Tagline
I'll send you the measurements. They are for Dom. The guy who was loading my shells for me. He is a good guy. I have a tape counter I have to look at also. He uses it o make sure the machines are right on.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Old conveyor belt is exactly what he needs. Got a LOT of it. How many squares do you want??