B&W speakers

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Anybody have them and would like to comment on there performance? I have a set coming this weekend that the wife bought me from a friend of hers. I don't know what model they are as she is keeping that from me. I do know they were in a home theater setup and they are floor standing, but that is all I know about them. Not much out there on a pecking order as far as the WWW goes. I am going to assume there from the late 80's early ninety's vintage maybe! I cant be sure of that as well.

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
There's a great chance that you're gonna love them. I've listened to a few model series and have not been disappointed yet. The cm series is a bit weak and a sub has been recommended but other than that all the floor standing series have thrilled me. Sounds like you're gonna have a nice weekend. Kudos to your wife, sounds like a great gal.

I still remember the look on my wife' s face when I brought mine into the house (you know - the WTF look) but after hooking them up she did admit they were the best she's ever heard and hasn't given me any crap since.

Please post what you get. Looking forward to hearing about them.

Skynyrd77

Tagline
lost in my own world
Anybody have them and would like to comment on there performance? I have a set coming this weekend that the wife bought me from a friend of hers. I don't know what model they are as she is keeping that from me. I do know they were in a home theater setup and they are floor standing, but that is all I know about them. Not much out there on a pecking order as far as the WWW goes. I am going to assume there from the late 80's early ninety's vintage maybe! I cant be sure of that as well.

I I went a year or so ago to a shop thar dealt in b&w. I did a long listen to all the floor standers. In the sound room they were very nice and detailed.the pairs I heard started at about 1500$ up to about 10 grand! They beat the hell out of the paridim line of speakers they had!!!but I was in a sound room and at 1 point I was listening to a 100k setup lol.i think you will be pleased

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Did'ja get em. Did'ja???

Really interested in your thoughts comparing horns to the B&W's.

Last edited:

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Did'ja get em. Did'ja???

Really interested in your thoughts comparing horns to the B&W's.
:angryfire::angryfire::angryfire: No I did not...... her husband is in the hospital has cancer, so it might be tomorrow, of I am lucky.:toothy5:
I'll post pics and my thoughts when and if I get them anytime soon.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
I got some DM603 S3 pic below. They sound ok, but not buy any means Klipsch good. And for the price they are asking for them they are way over rated. I have not been able to fully audition them out like I want to right at the moment. They do sound ok to me though. One of the tweeter diaphragm is ripped so that has to be replaced. I will either sell them after the repair or trade them for some Klispchs speakers here locally. The room that is my mancave 12X12 is the perfect size room for these speakers, anything bigger and they probably wont fill a large living room with sound. Also the spikes are amiss and the foam plugs are missing as well so they will have to be replaced too. Like I said there ok for the average audio guy. I guess I'm not average:happy3: I want rock concert loud and these don't do it without breakup.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
Honest opinion and not entirely unexpected. I was hoping you were getting a bit older 800 series which may have reviewed differently. Fix and flip them. You should do OK.

eminence1963

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
---
Yep sounds like the BOSE cubed setup that people with more money than brains use in their homes.
My Polk Monitor 5's have more everything than these extremely over priced speakers, let alone the KG4s. Which I wont even give my time to do a comparison.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Those that love Klipsch have very special hearing and that leads to specific requirements in speakers. Not many speakers can satisfy a Klipsch lover.

braxus

Journeyman
B&W is my speaker of choice. That said I've never heard Klipsch, so I can't comment. I had some 602 s2 and s3 and loved them. Im trying to get into the 805 series now, but that will be a long wait.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Those that love Klipsch have very special hearing and that leads to specific requirements in speakers. Not many speakers can satisfy a Klipsch lover.
I sold my Heresys, bought Vandersteen 2's, and am satisfied. I must not have really loved Klipsch.

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
B&W is my speaker of choice. That said I've never heard Klipsch, so I can't comment. I had some 602 s2 and s3 and loved them. Im trying to get into the 805 series now, but that will be a long wait.
I owned a pair of Matrix 805's for some time. They're good speakers but require an amp with good manners, as they don't tolerate power-up/power-down pops and thumps very well. Be careful with amp matching and you won't have to have a woofer reconed as I did.

BlazeES

Tagline
---
[late to the party on this thread...]

I've owned a pair of CDM 7se's for almost ten years. No matter what amp I drive them with, they speak loudly without breaking up.

They look like this:

CDM7se.jpg

I believe that the 603's are an entry level offering but that shouldn't necessarily make them garbage.
Haven't had the chance to ever demo those before. But if they are like most Bowers & Wilkins builds,
clean, well controlled and behaved amps are a necessity.

Last edited:

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
100-0010_IMG.jpg

808's.

Lusted a few years for these, finally found them affordable about 2 years ago. Can't wait to WOPL them someday. Lee thinks he will be able to sway me to horns.....we'll see!!!

Cafe944

Journeyman
Great looking Pair Of B&W' 808's, I heard these years ago with a Threshold SA-4E amplifier, The pair was very very dynamic but yet very smooth.They love high current amplifiers, Excellent speaker. Enjoy

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
There's a pair of 808's on ebay out of Lowell, IN. $3900 is high, just looking at pics I would rate them 6-7/10. Better be local, they will ship out at 360 lbs+.