Audio Alchemy

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
There was a method to my madness. All of AA CDPs use Sony transports except one uses a Pioneer stable platter So I ran the laser number and found a Sony CDP with the same transport and started ordering parts. There is a site on line that is bogus. I should have the spindle motor today. So I will be taking pics.

When it was playing it sounded great. There was something I never saw in the case. dampening material. I did find some manuals. We may just become the AA gurus. LOL

Larry

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
i'm bumping this.

Web, John, Jer, Lee, do any of youse still have/use these? Where are the Perpetuals?

Great read, Lar was soooo cool and funny, man of few words, Hmmmmm!! R.I.P. bud

To those lurking and our new members, Larry was the founder of this place. Sorely missed, Lee has done a great job keeping it real and us all together. Welcome to our merry and of misfits :confused2:

Oh, and where is the thread on those little D amps we tried out?

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Heyas Craig,

I still have the AA stuff laying around, but went on with better/newer generation DAC's since then. Got me an Emotiva XDA-2 running nowadays which really does digital good. The AA stuff had a weird ghost beat sound (can't really describe it) when I did some critical listening if I recall.. those things were ancient when Larry gave em to me.

Yep, still have two "x amps" sitting around here too. They were "ok" but the chips in them couldn't handle too much supply voltage i.e. good for 4 ohms or less, but not enough "EMF" to drive 8 ohm loads to any ear bleedin' levels.. they just basically hit the supply's limit and that's as good as they can put out. I can't recall what our plan was for em tho.. Lee do you recall?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Joe redesigned the power supply to fit in the case. A special low profile toroid. It was all ready to go at one time...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Heyas Craig,

I still have the AA stuff laying around, but went on with better/newer generation DAC's since then. Got me an Emotiva XDA-2 running nowadays which really does digital good. The AA stuff had a weird ghost beat sound (can't really describe it) when I did some critical listening if I recall.. those things were ancient when Larry gave em to me.

Yep, still have two "x amps" sitting around here too. They were "ok" but the chips in them couldn't handle too much supply voltage i.e. good for 4 ohms or less, but not enough "EMF" to drive 8 ohm loads to any ear bleedin' levels.. they just basically hit the supply's limit and that's as good as they can put out. I can't recall what our plan was for em tho.. Lee do you recall?
If you wanna read up on the AA stuff the links appear at the bottom in the list of similar threads.