At least 5 sailors sickened after jet fuel leaks into USS Nimitz' drinking water, Navy says

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
American radiation is different. We only use the good kind.

You must NOT have read what I posted. Those pills won't do shit. Unless you are lucky enough to ONLY need to protect your Thyroid. Screw all the other important parts of your body. As you die, at least your eyes won't be bulging. Your balls may hit main street as you are walking down it, and your feet may swell up like bigfoot but your thyroid will be good as gold. WTF?

George S.

American radiation is different. We only use the good kind.

You must NOT have read what I posted. Those pills won't do shit. Unless you are lucky enough to ONLY need to protect your Thyroid. Screw all the other important parts of your body. As you die, at least your eyes won't be bulging. Your balls may hit main street as you are walking down it, and your feet may swell up like bigfoot but your thyroid will be good as gold. WTF?
It depends on the distance from the event, the fallout, and available shelter. The guys who went into the Chernobyl reactor containment dome or got close to the exploded one, were walking to their death.
The population in the region developed thyroid issues and other cancers, but most of them lived. If they had the potassium iodide pills, there would have been less sickness. All the pill does is keep Iodine-131 out of the thyroid. Iodine-131 has a half life of approximately 8 days and is easily incorporated into the body.
The object is to protect yourself as best as possible until you can leave the contaminated area.
Many will be able to leave fallout contaminated areas, some will not.

George S.

It's like taking Flintstone Vitamins for the Clap................. ADS, ADS...........................
More like doing the best one can do in a terrible situation. Many people would just give up, NOT saying you would, but I know people close to me who would.
I played a lot of war games in the Nuclear Biological Chemical suit. You know the one, charcoal infused fabric with the gas mask and full hood down over the shoulders, booties and rubber gloves. Practice Atropine injectors for nerve agents.
I'm not about to go that far with this. If it's that bad I'll kiss my ass goodbye. But I will invest in a slight edge that some scientists and government officials recommend but government has failed to provide the public with.

mlucitt

I have to Perry, the Ruskies live at the end of the street...
Then you are safe, Joe.
If terrible things happen, I will load up the boat and sail to Cuba. They won't nuke Cuba, the cigars are too valuable. The trade winds will keep the fallout to a minimum and the rainy season will wash off most of the alpha particles. The beta particles are the more serious...
The fishing should be good and we will have 100 lbs of rice and 10 gallons of cooking oil onboard. A large stash of multivitamins should take care of the minerals and other supplemental needs.
If anyone wants to go along, I will be departing the Key West Military Marina at 0800 ten days after the first flash.