AR's me likes

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I dont know Scott...I had a pair of D-9's..and a WOPL 700 driving them...I could clip the 700 but not for long. Never hurt the 9's...
Wasn't Northwinds using the WOPL we built him to run HIS D9's??? I thought that's what he said he had. Either way, he runs them WFO. I don't think he has blown them up or the WOPL. The power is so clean that if you can keep the amp cooled, the speakers will take rated and then some. I noticed that about my Epicure 20+ speakers. They only were rated for like 125 Watts and they didn't like anything close to that until I drove them with the WOPL.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Correct on the high power being easier on some drivers, if it's clean.

I used to blow tweeters on the D9's with lesser powered amps, even with fuse protection and the D9's have a circuit breaker on the tweeter if I remember correctly. Anyhow, once I went WOPL 700, no more blown tweeters, at all. Just blown 5A fuses during cranking sessions. I did run them with solid brass in the fuse holder for a bit and it just felt like a little more and things would break. I heard distress but sounds like it wouldn't have taken anything out. Always listening for driver distress as I have taken out many......

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Wasn't Northwinds using the WOPL we built him to run HIS D9's??? I thought that's what he said he had. Either way, he runs them WFO. I don't think he has blown them up or the WOPL. The power is so clean that if you can keep the amp cooled, the speakers will take rated and then some. I noticed that about my Epicure 20+ speakers. They only were rated for like 125 Watts and they didn't like anything close to that until I drove them with the WOPL.
Yep I have Sabbitha, the amp series II 700 Hawaiian score of Perry's. Remember me firing her up stock in that vid with the Infinity sacrificial speakers playing Sabbath and putting the boots somewhat. Now years later she is done to perfection being dual mono maxed and so very greatful to you folks for making her the monster that she is for me. I still run her pretty loud since my Marshall and other equipment so I Jam with my system at pretty close to concert levels in my 16×26ft livingroom and a tolerant oldlady. Perry builds them to last. I do occasionally run the pair of fans Jerry made just for extended listening and when I get stupid and really get into a jam session lol stupid look on face and poses of the 80s shredders

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
The D9s are a bit different from stock now. I used a rhino liner type sealer around inside so no rattles ever. Extra braces in each, 45lbs of ballast in bittom of each and bullet tweeters changed to Hepner dhomes which are drop in since they were used in the HED series CVs as well as Polk and the mighty Altec 19s. Such a difference without the shriek at volumes most people would freak from lol