AR's me likes

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
From the ID I wonder if that is 'Saipan' from AK was it?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Owned a pair meself, D9's definately kick some ass. At one time I had the D9's sitting in front of the k-Horns, and a pair of Heresies on top of each cornerhorn. A 400 on each Heresy, tr-amped the k-Horns with a Spec2 on the bass bins, a 400 on the mids and a small Kenwood integrated on the tweets, and a 700 on the D9's.........it got loud......

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
If I get rid of the Epicure 20's and the 3.0 clones I may try some D9's
They are really nice my father had a pair wish I had them but sister got ahold of them and some drunk boyfriend trashed them

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Owned a pair meself, D9's definately kick some ass. At one time I had the D9's sitting in front of the k-Horns, and a pair of Heresies on top of each cornerhorn. A 400 on each Heresy, tr-amped the k-Horns with a Spec2 on the bass bins, a 400 on the mids and a small Kenwood integrated on the tweets, and a 700 on the D9's.........it got loud......
Yep, if someone can't afford a K-horn set up like yours and some other Brother's on here, the D9's do an adequate job on the cheap and sound pretty good. You always know when your at their limit because the tweeter makes a little sizzle noise (they are cheap to replace if they fry). I run fast blo 5A fuses in them (just to eliminate some micro second transient that might interfere with my listening LMAO) w/ the mid and tweeter controls backed off a bit. I trust my ears to protect the speakers. It's easy to hit the sweet spot with a WOPL, you don't really need to go any louder (but most of us do anyway!!). Other then a added inner brace and some added weight, I have done nothing to mine

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
I agree, the D9's are a kickass speaker, lots of thump, can get a little bright on top, but otherwise good speaks...

Northwinds

Tagline
There is a pair of the 808s in rosewood for sale locally here. I heard them, was not super impressed but it may be because a Marantz amp was driving them

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
I have a pair of tiny AR 2x two ways, I paid $60 for them off CL. I hooked them up to the monster Yamaha amp in front of my old ML Sequels, and let me tell ya's they held their own very nicely! I was very impressed on the power they could handle and the high SPL's they put out...dumbass me started to dick around with the controls in the back and lost the tweeter on one of them. Not an easy fix with these sealed box speaks. A Roy Allison design IIRC.

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
There is a pair of the 808s in rosewood for sale locally here. I heard them, was not super impressed but it may be because a Marantz amp was driving them
I was driving mine with a SX-828 originally. Didn't cut it. Recommended 200wpc minimum for the beast. WOPL really made them sing.

What were they asking for them because I think $2500+ is overpriced. Should be around $1800.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Hey Fish, I never asked for a price, just heard them playing at the auction house, I think they are consigned to auction there

Fishoz

Tagline
Always learning!
BTW - I think those AR's are overpriced - should be about half what they are asking. Nice speaker though!

...also think the B&W's are overpriced...should be under $2000....

GeorgeP

Journeyman
I have a pair of AR9s, and a pair of the kid brothers AR92s.
Luv them.
PL 700 Series 1 drives the 9s at 400Watts peak...no problem. Amp will do 540W / CH into the 4 ohm load.
I use the 92s with a PL200...
I just refurbished a pair of PL400s Series 2, so Ill try them out on both for fun.
The 700W is on the bench getting upgraded now. The latest Output transistors just arrived.
All amps upgraded with caps, relay boards, and ARs in great shape.

Gibsonian

Chief Journeyman
Yep, if someone can't afford a K-horn set up like yours and some other Brother's on here, the D9's do an adequate job on the cheap and sound pretty good. You always know when your at their limit because the tweeter makes a little sizzle noise (they are cheap to replace if they fry). I run fast blo 5A fuses in them (just to eliminate some micro second transient that might interfere with my listening LMAO) w/ the mid and tweeter controls backed off a bit. I trust my ears to protect the speakers. It's easy to hit the sweet spot with a WOPL, you don't really need to go any louder (but most of us do anyway!!). Other then a added inner brace and some added weight, I have done nothing to mine
When I owned a pair I used the same 5A fast blow. Seemed about right, never broke a woofer anyway. Without fuse, I am sure a healthy 700 could break them, for sure, without clipping.