AR XB

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
So I decided to get my old XB out of the attic. I've been rebuilding the PL2000 preamp and it suddenly dawned on me that I haven't tested the phono section. This hasn't been used for approximately 20 years and most surprisingly the foam mat and belt haven't turned to goo! Works good, playing some vintage Longines Symphonic Society albums my Grandmother gave me. Funny thing, I just dimly remember breaking the tonearm rest off, and whittling a new one I think out of Dogwood. Totally forgot about that, I like it, it's staying!

Attachments

Lazarus Short

Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
The first real turntable I ever used was in the library at the U. of Missouri, and it was an AR. I loved it, but have never owned one. In time, I got into linear-trackers.

Last edited:

George S.

Never seen a linear tracker in person, well maybe in a HiFi shop back in the 70s. This XB is one of only two pieces of stereo gear I've ever bought new. The other is a Schiit Modi 3 DAC I got about 4 months ago. After listening to digital files for so long, many of them just huge flac files, these 33rpm long playing discs sure are short.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Loved both of my XAs - the one I got as part of my first system and the one I bought some years ago to rekindle the memories. That the XA has been in the collection at MOMA since the 60s says much for the intrinsic rightness of its design.

George S.

Loved both of my XAs - the one I got as part of my first system and the one I bought some years ago to rekindle the memories. That the XA has been in the collection at MOMA since the 60s says much for the intrinsic rightness of its design.
I had to look up what MOMA is. Cool, it's now on my bucket list.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Yes, it is a very cool place to visit. Last time I was there, my eldest was in grad school at Rutgers. I went up to visit for a few days and we hopped a train into the city on one of those days and spent a good bit of it in MOMA.

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Bought one in the mid 80's off the used shelf at a hifi shop. Had it modified to accept a Grace 707 arm. Rigged up an optical coupler to sense when the arm was at the end of a record and turn off the the motor. At that time auto shut off was important as it was always possible I couldn't stand up by the end of a record.

Wheel-right

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Man, Ya shoulda been here yesterday
Picked up a two motor XA about a month ago, changed out the arm to SME hookup and been using it with my Concept 2.0. Even the wife said what a cool turntable it is. Really fine sound with a Shure M44E, still need to replace the old chassis springs for better set-up and a few other small things but for the money hard to beat.

George S.

Picked up a two motor XA about a month ago, changed out the arm to SME hookup and been using it with my Concept 2.0. Even the wife said what a cool turntable it is. Really fine sound with a Shure M44E, still need to replace the old chassis springs for better set-up and a few other small things but for the money hard to beat.
Post a photo! Would like to see it.