AR-3a Speaker Pair Listed on AK

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Do you realize that I had a Mutt and Jeff pair, one of them cost $5 from auction leftovers and one dark, one painted white for a couple year until I sold them on Craigslist here for a pittance.

I am totally not impressed by the price, it's mortgage time.

Absolutely no shit, and I was on AK at the time. I was so ahead of some of those guys with no real money involved it wasn't funny.

Last edited:

orange

Tagline
What's the difference in em Joe??
Maybe the tweeters or construction?

AR-1s and 2s are supposed to be the Holy Grail though, as the 1 had Altec Lansing drivers I gather (755s?) but most of it seems like hype and the James B. Lansing Mystique. The man committed suicide in maybe 1951? He couldn't even run a company well and few of the models the eBay sellers tag with his glorious name have anything to do with his handiwork by that point.

Those 3As and my KLH Model Sixes have booty thump but are totally outclassed by my Marantz Imperial 7s or most anything I've built myself.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
What's the difference in em Joe??
AR cheaped out on the 3As and went to a lower compliance foam surround on the woofers. The original 3s are the ones to get as they had a higher compliance cloth surround on the woofers. They look really ugly but they work much better.

New and improved usually isn't

orange

Tagline
I have a pair of the 10" woofers from Optimus-1A or B and that's as good as either and a heavy cast frame.