Anyone interested in buying used MD's?

BubbaH

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
I contacted a local seller, who has a large lot of MD's for sale. I was originally only going to buy a small batch of about 25 from him. When I received a reply from him he told me he was moving in a couple weeks, and if I could buy all 200 he'd sell them for 1 dollar a piece. So, Im wondering if there are any members that would like to get their hands on used MD's. Obviously you pay for your amount and the shipping. With this offer i'd be willing to take 100. That would leave 100 left if anyone wanted to join up for 25 or 50 or more. The MD's themselves are said be TDK Maxell and Sony. 90% im told are in their plastic cases and the others are in plastic 5 packs. Many are 80 mins, and some are 74 mins. As well theyve all been recorded in one of the longer playing formats.... possibly requiring a newer machine to blank them.

If there is no interest ill simply buy the 25 i was originally intending and maybe another 25 considering he is leaving town fairly soon.

Ben.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I am in for 50 too. Get them all, I'll purchase at least 50 or whatever is left after you and Nando split yours up.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
OK cool. All are spoken for. Ive already replied to him stating I'd take them all. I wont be able to pick them up until later this week. Most likely on the weekend, depending on what works for the seller. Ill let ya's know. We'll work out the payment once I can evaluate shipping for both.

Ben.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That has got to be the quickest deal I've seen made, Ben. It goes to show much in demand MiniDiscs are. I do have plenty of MDs, but a bulk of them are Masters I have kept of all my previous dubs to cassette and I'm not going to erase them.

Nando.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
I have a few mini discs, but always in the market for more, whether new or used. I found a place online that sold new ones for 1.49 each, and I bought a few, but he finally ran out.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
That has got to be the quickest deal I've seen made, Ben. It goes to show much in demand MiniDiscs are. I do have plenty of MDs, but a bulk of them are Masters I have kept of all my previous dubs to cassette and I'm not going to erase them.

Nando.
This would be the first time I personally have done something like this. Similar to a group buy I guess. But I agree Nando. Even I didnt think they would go that fast. At that price though, I certainly didnt want to pass up this deal.

fitz43

Nando.
Nando,
Did you buy the 110 used ones on Craigslist in June/July in North Van? The last price I saw on them before the ad disappeared was $.60 each.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Nando,
Did you buy the 110 used ones on Craigslist in June/July in North Van? The last price I saw on them before the ad disappeared was $.60 each.
No Doug, but I would have had I spotted them. I don't check out craigslist out that much for audio stuff.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Well fella's, I picked up the MD's this evening. An interesting fellow to say the least. He included what looks to be like a brief case modified to hold MD's and another (I assume) MD case. As well there is a ziplock baggie full of labels, some used some unused. There looks to be some good tunes on some these. He also mentioned, he recorded some live shows himself, which are mixed in with the bunch.

Ill pick up some packing boxes tomorrow and get these ready, then ill head down and get a shipping quote.

John could you PM me your addy please. Nando, I believe I have yours already.

Ben.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Looks great, Ben. Did he already sell his MD deck? Please email me the billing info for PayPal payment when needed.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Apparently he only used portables. He said he liked to use it on the go. Both of his portables do not function properly. Which was his reason for getting rid of the discs.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: I have used my portable Sony to record off a Korg mixing board. But, I haven't tried a live recording using a hand-held MD recorder using just the built-in microphone. Now that you mention live concert recordings on MD in the bunch you bought, there has got to be some gems in there. I am curious how well the live recordings came out.

Nando.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
From what I could tell, most of his live recordings were made here locally in Peterborough. Several were done at a local club, and a few were done at outdoor festivals. I havent listened to any of the discs as of yet. I hope to maybe peruse a couple today.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Just a heads up. My Pioneer MJ-D707 will not play these discs in their current recorded format. My portable Sony MZ-N505 plays them fine though. With that said, you will need a modern recorder to blank these discs properly. I had an issue before trying to erase an MD made on the portable with my home deck. It would erase the content but leave the TOC behind. Erased as such, the discs would not record until the TOC was erased, which had to be done by formatting on the portable.

Listening to one of his home recordings of Downchild Blues Band recorded in one of the parks here in town. Sounds fairly well done.

While picking up the discs, he showed me a stereo mic pre amp, as well as a bass rolloff filter of some sort. He used these along with a sony stereo mic to record live. He offered both units to me for 75 dollars, not sure if that included the mic or not. I told him I would think on that a bit.

Ben.

BubbaH

Tagline
---
Hey guys,

Picked up the shipping cartons yesterday. Have them loaded and ready to brought down for an exact shipping cost. Will PM both of you later today. I will get prices for with and without tracking. Tracking will be a little more money, but its up to you guys if you'd like that option.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Ben: What an opportune time to have a member help out, as my stock of MiniDiscs was beginning to dwindle. Invariably, if there are few MDs which come my way that have recordings on them that I want to keep, so be it. I need more stock as I use MDs primarily as my themed Masters which then are used to dub cassette copies from. Thanks for helping out!

Nando.