Anyone ever run Magneplanar Speakers?

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Anyone here ever use Magneplaner speakers with their PL amps? The first time I ever hear these speakers or a PL amp was in a stereo store show room in the early 70's when I was out in CA. where they had them set up together.. I'm thinking it might have been a 700b amp but might have been a 400. Long time ago brain gets fuzzy lol But I remember the setup almost literally blew my shoes off!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNEPAN-MG...577663?hash=item43f116463f:g:ZQcAAOSwJkJWiBtW

Fast Forward

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Anyone here ever use Magneplaner speakers with their PL amps? The first time I ever hear these speakers or a PL amp was in a stereo store show room in the early 70's when I was out in CA. where they had them set up together.. I'm thinking it might have been a 700b amp but might have been a 400. Long time ago brain gets fuzzy lol But I remember the setup almost literally blew my shoes off!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MAGNEPAN-MG...577663?hash=item43f116463f:g:ZQcAAOSwJkJWiBtW
Being as they are built in Minnesota Iv'e probably had a dozen chances to grab a pair but my room size just wouldn't work, I have listened to them thru a Quad 405 and thought they lacked a little low end those 3as are supposed to be some of their best

Jimmy

Journeyman
Tagline
---

I bought a pair of Magnepan MG IIs to repair and flip a few years ago. They are a serious pain in the rear to rewire. Anyhow, I played them for a couple weeks with my WOPL 400. I liked the Maggies a lot, but my wife hated them as much as I liked them. I didn't try them with any other amps so I cannot compare how they sounded on the WOPL versus other amps. But, the WOPL and Magnepan pairing was very nice.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I ran my MG-I's with a 125 wpc receiver and would have liked a little more power. The sound is magical when working right!! I don't know if you'll ever hear a better midrange from Maggies or electrostatics. Maybe that's a dipole thing. Probably a low WAF due to their need for placement into the room. They're imposing.

Before you jump in, read thru this post. It'll give you an idea what to look for and what's involved if repairs are needed. I don't know that I'd buy a pair of old Maggies at this point, even if they didn't need repair. I especially wouldn't buy them w/o listening to them first.

http://www.opus45.com/magnepan/

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Yeah, Maggies are a speaker I will never own, too much hassle to maintain/rebuild. I'd rather have a pair of 15" 3-ways any day

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
After hearing Craig's Martin Logans,o I could see owning a pair of those someday...

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Maggies are pretty cool speakers, the later models have many followers, my buddy Tom has some. He's a die-hard tube guy and has a custom built amp that uses some NOS 300B's from the 1930's for low level sessions and a monster 200wpc made in China for serious jams. I like them.

They are a different sound though from my ML's, even though they seem the same on paper, very different beasts! They both need lot's of room around them, both will be noticed in a room. Maggies reproduce bass from the panel (they don't do it for me in that aspect). My Summits have dual powered dynamic 10' woofers and, while not up to what Lee and other bass fiends like they are just fine for me. Maggies also present a very different load on an amp. I'm sure a WOPL can handle the load. IMHO, you need at least 200wpc to make them really sing, and they can suck about as much as my Summits on peaks...like 500wpc. I'm talking very loud here.

I don't think the soundstage is as pronounced as my Summits but, that might have to do with my buds placement and amp/pre? I think the ML line is beyond reproach as far as midrange clarity and speed, 'Logans are fast, fast, Fast! I've never heard another speaker that match that speed. Even my buddy jumped when certain passages of his fav classical Lps were played. He still loves his Maggies, I love my ML's.

I suggest finding a pair to listen to again since it's been awhile. Happy listening!!

stuwee

Here ya go roccus! A bud over on the MLO forum is selling his CLSIIz's these are huge, he's only asking $3,000. If they don't sell he's not in a hurry! Located in Tampa FL, buy a cheap flight down, rent a truck to drive them back, or pay to have them shipped!! These are serious monster ML's!!

!12 CLXs.jpg

I can get you in touch, I paid twice that for my Summits, these are much nicer...Drat!!!!

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Amen on all that! I remember listening to my brother's Acoustats around the same time I had my Maggies. Both great speakers and while you got some similarities there were definite differences. Both power hungry monsters.

That's a screamin' deal on those ML's ! ! ! !

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Here ya go roccus! A bud over on the MLO forum is selling his CLSIIz's these are huge, he's only asking $3,000. If they don't sell he's not in a hurry! Located in Tampa FL, buy a cheap flight down, rent a truck to drive them back, or pay to have them shipped!! These are serious monster ML's!!

View attachment 25762

I can get you in touch, I paid twice that for my Summits, these are much nicer...Drat!!!!

Dayam/#!####/

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I believe those amps are Audio Research Reference 600. I think they cost about $70K a pair and as the model number states, 600 watts a piece.

I currently use Magnaplaner SMGs and the newer model 1.7. They both sound very impressive. I also have Martin Logan, Quad and Infinity electrostats that also sound very sweet. If you have enough clean power, it's hard to go wrong with stats or Magnepan speakers.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I still want to hear some ML'S with some K bass bins....

How would they stand the trip back Craig????

stuwee

They don't suffer moving like many others, would be fine wrapped in blankets, laid back.

These are full range, they need a subwoofer, or a K bin woofer!!!!!!!!!!! The highs and mids will wreck your last good nerve!! Seriously, you heard what the Summits can do, these are 2X's better!

He's selling because he bought the bigger ones, and doesn't want them to just sit around getting old!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid

View attachment 25762

WOW! that is a sweet looking set up! If I spent 3k for speakers my wife would divorce me lol

actually I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/301997459388?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

more in my price range without getting wifey to upset

stuwee

WOW! that is a sweet looking set up! If I spent 3k for speakers my wife would divorce me lol

actually I am thinking about pulling the trigger on these.... http://www.ebay.com/itm/301997459388?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

more in my price range without getting wifey to upset
Well, you have to keep the wife happy, sorry for trying to move you, remember, these old Maggies usually need work, are you up to that?

Is she up to having big panels far out in the room? If so, go boy!! You will be a happy camper!

~stu