Anybody ever have a Cart Re-Tipped?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I scored a cart, an XV-15 with the original used stylus (a 625e) and I was wondering since the original NOS stylus is probably unobtanium on the open market, has anybody had one re-tipped, and if yes, do they replace the suspension/cantilever when re-tipping or do they just replace the needle? Everything I read is saying although the replacement stylus/styli sound pretty nice, they cant exactly copy the originals and don't sound as good as the originals...... Anybody???

I see some charge $250 to re-tip

I'd like to have this beautiful cart sporting an original stylus.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
after some digging and reading, it would seem that they CAN replace the cantilever AND the diamond. It all starts at $200 and goes UP from there. I have not had any work done by Soundsmith but I don't believe they have any bad ratings. But, now you get to that point where what's left of the original stylus and how did replacing all of it change the original sound. Maybe I'd be better off just buying a $79 replacement stylus and save the original stylus for.........????

https://www.sound-smith.com/options-cantilever-and-stylus-shapes

bill7621

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF, y'all
Perry, I used this guy: His name is Joseph Long. He went by the name Needlestein on AK. I had a Denon DL-301 that I got a little careless with and bent and broke the cantilever. I sent it to him and had it back good as new in no time. I think it was in the mail longer than in for repair. So yes he replaced the cantilever since it was broke in half unless he grafted it onto the sub. All I know is I was happy with it. He'd be the first person I'd go to for any more repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1840895830...FvRcTjRBwjHOw97HnY22lnmSE=|tkp:Bk9SR-Csr7bLYQ

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
And yeah, It's not cheap, but neither are good cartridges. I'd try to find a replacement stylus and go from there. Did you look into the Jico/Sas stuff.
Yes, but the cart/stylus as a whole, seems to hold resale value if they are original. I'll find the best of the 3 carts I have (sound wise), and install on the arm, and sell the other 2 when the table goes up for sale.

J!m

Tagline
BOT
Pickering and Stanton are the same company, so you need to filter what's what.

I bet there are more than a few guys on VE that can help with that, and a couple competent retippers if you ed up repairing it.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again
Yeah there’s a book out there about Stanton/Pickering styli. I’m gonna get that vivid line contact from LP Gear for my 500v3 (V15) pretty soon.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Not a fan of Soundsmith. Sent them an Sumiko Alchemist years ago for a $300-ish retipping and it came back blowing out the right channel of the phono card in my Exposure. Never could get it to work, they swore up and down it was fine. It's around here someplace but I ended up buying the Phonomena preamp and Denon DL-304 I have now. It won't work at all with the Phonomena.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
This guy had a lot of mentions when I was researching the M91ED. He's in Hartford CT, maybe one of our members has used him.
https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=114883#p1012862

I was just reading the posts and the posters had some of the same concerns as me. Rebuilding the stylus and losing the original functionality/sound. Very interesting. So I guess it's best to ask the "Re-Tippers" what they actually do and see what they suggest. Maybe it's just easier to buy a replacement stylus and pray that the one you buy, sounds good. It is WAY cheaper to buy a unit that is recommended and will do the job. I suppose if I had an expensive cart, it would matter the most.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Perry, I used this guy: His name is Joseph Long. He went by the name Needlestein on AK. I had a Denon DL-301 that I got a little careless with and bent and broke the cantilever. I sent it to him and had it back good as new in no time. I think it was in the mail longer than in for repair. So yes he replaced the cantilever since it was broke in half unless he grafted it onto the sub. All I know is I was happy with it. He'd be the first person I'd go to for any more repairs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184089583047?hash=item2adc981dc7:g:yOwAAOSwPWtb8DQi&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoFTHzh3OcSDTOjWKQ0CkI0JvfiDAvIw6giP6nof/7uzFllr30LOYdxEiFo5N0LzlnJRf9tmnqx4a+F2/KrPBUxalliF7TTaj3br8yYG7EUTgndv+WZpQp4DfH+mKVwi4XeEaHddzn8KMMWj20t14zgmea7/z+Ebkjyt3ryhNQu8uE/i3xZnL8DZTerEUnYFvRcTjRBwjHOw97HnY22lnmSE=|tkp:Bk9SR-Csr7bLYQ

This guy has excellent reviews (100%) and seems to have good turn times.

George S.

I run cheap replacement stylus on my M91ED. They need a little bit more tracking force, but sound good to me. And I'm perfectly happy with a old M91ED on the old AR XB. No reason to upgrade. It is vinyl after all!