Any 8 Track Users here??

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
When do you let yourself know that you know?
I won an 8 track recorder on eBay and it was DOA on arrival. The seller refunded my money right away and told me not to bother about returning it.I sent it to Barry's 8 track repair in Arizona which he touts as the best and only quality repair service.He charges $149.00 for any deck. I won 2 batches of tapes as well and that's why I sent it for repair. One is 11 tapes in a case and the other is 24 tapes in a case.I know I must be KRAZY to play around with 8 track but I want to fool around with it. My son is ready to send me to the funny farm because of this,as he says I will learn the pleasure of a KERCHUNK right in the middle of a track but I don't care! I have 4 Cassette players but I guess I want to try it out. I have a Tascam MarkIII, Tascam122,Teac A-800,Nakamichi RX-202.I'm wondering if anyone else is fooling around with 8 track.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Not here, the Tascam 122 Mk3 should cure you of your hankering for the 8 track. The only good thing I know of about 8 track is that the music is dirt cheap.

I am not sure this format is going to stage the comeback that LPs have :)

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
8 Tracks were really cool back in the day. Heck I remember in '77 where both me and my sister got portable AM/FM's with an 8 Track on the side. My very first tape?? Village People - YMCA (lol... EY I was 8 years old!).

Another real cool thing I remember about 8 Tracks - Right here man...

http://www.2xlrobot.com/

Look at it carefully.. it really was just a 8 Track player, but with a few twists like the blinking lights. But also.. look at the four buttons - those corresponded to the actual 4 track channels. The 2XL tapes were recorded in such a way that the "robot" would ask a question, and your "answer" was the equivalent of switching to one of the 3 other channels or staying on the current one - and then it would "appear" that the robot really WAS one, but it was all a slight of hand on how the tape was recorded. BUT.. back then, that was pretty darn slick of an idea using already available "tech" to make a toy like that.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
BWAAA HAHAHA++++++

What's your rig?

Pioneer H-R100 and Realistic TR-884 here and around 120-150 cartridges PLUS several blanks (Maxell LN and UD, TDK, Realistic, Certron)...

I could record DBX II 8 tracks if I wanted...

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
What's your rig?

Pioneer H-R100 and Realistic TR-884 here and around 120-150 cartridges PLUS several blanks (Maxell LN and UD, TDK, Realistic, Certron)...

It is a Sony TC-288,It was DOA and in addition the Record button would not depress,it looked frozen. Barry says he knows how to fix it. He sounds like a good tech.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Not here, the Tascam 122 Mk3 should cure you of your hankering for the 8 track. The only good thing I know of about 8 track is that the music is dirt cheap.

I am not sure this format is going to stage the comeback that LPs have :)
The music is cheap but the format can cause problems in your deck.Pressure Pads and stuff like that but it is faster than cassette and may sound better depending on the deck!

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
:tweety:
8 Tracks were really cool back in the day. Heck I remember in '77 where both me and my sister got portable AM/FM's with an 8 Track on the side. My very first tape?? Village People - YMCA (lol... EY I was 8 years old!).

Another real cool thing I remember about 8 Tracks - Right here man...

http://www.2xlrobot.com/

Look at it carefully.. it really was just a 8 Track player, but with a few twists like the blinking lights. But also.. look at the four buttons - those corresponded to the actual 4 track channels. The 2XL tapes were recorded in such a way that the "robot" would ask a question, and your "answer" was the equivalent of switching to one of the 3 other channels or staying on the current one - and then it would "appear" that the robot really WAS one, but it was all a slight of hand on how the tape was recorded. BUT.. back then, that was pretty darn slick of an idea using already available "tech" to make a toy like that.
That is a great idea. I saved the link and it is fascinating.Thanks for the link .

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
What's your rig?

BTW The HR-!00 is quite a nice deck. I tried to get one on eBay but they wanted too much money. Even the HR-99 was expensive.There is one for sale right now and a seller wants $199 for one.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I have a few 8-track decks, and last year I found a new, still boxed, car 8-track deck/receiver for my old Buick. I don't use my home decks much, but since picking up the car deck a few months ago, I may be recording my own 8-track mix tapes to enjoy on the road.

I have a Pioneer H-R99, which I've owned for a few years, and I was given another H-R99 by Scott (braxus) a year ago. The gift deck doesn't have any sound on playback, but I am thinking about delving into the cause of the no-audio symptom. I, also, have a Panasonic RS 844US which is 4-channel deck, but unlike the Pioneer, it doesn't record. I have about a dozen quadraphonic pre-recorded 8-tracks, and even six, or so, unused quadraphonic blank 8-track cartridges to record on. I have a collection of perhaps 80 pre-recorded 8-tracks, mostly classic rock.

Click on images to play videos:

Nando.

Last edited:

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
:confused:
I have a few 8-track decks, and last year I found a new, still boxed, car 8-track deck/receiver for my old Buick. I don't use my home decks much, but since picking up the car deck a few months ago, I may be recording my own 8-track mix tapes to enjoy on the road.

I have a Pioneer H-R99, which I've owned for a few years, and I was given another H-R99 by Scott (braxus) a year ago. The gift deck doesn't have any sound on playback, but I am thinking about delving into the cause of the no-audio symptom. I, also, have a Panasonic RS 844US which is 4-channel deck, but unlike the Pioneer, it doesn't record. I have about a dozen quadraphonic pre-recorded 8-tracks, and even six, or so, unused quadraphonic blank 8-track cartridges to record on. I have a collection of perhaps 80 pre-recorded 8-tracks, mostly classic rock.

Click on images to play videos:

Nando.
those are nice decks Father.The HR-99 is a great deck! I like your carts,I really like Enoch LIght and theLight Brigade.I sa Belafonte years ago at Lewisohn Stadium in NYC but that really dates me.He was young then and so was I.

Elite-ist

Staff member
:confused:those are nice decks Father.The HR-99 is a great deck! I like your carts,I really like Enoch LIght and theLight Brigade.I sa Belafonte years ago at Lewisohn Stadium in NYC but that really dates me.He was young then and so was I.
Thank you. Rob (retrokeeper) has more 8-track decks than probably all of us members combined, and a huge selection of different genres of 8-track pre-recorded cartridges. I'm surprised he hasn't responded here, yet. 8-tracks are alive and well here in these parts.

Nando.

Jazzyguy

Journeyman
Tagline
Thank you. Rob (retrokeeper) has more 8-track decks than probably all of us members combined, and a huge selection of different genres of 8-track pre-recorded cartridges. I'm surprised he hasn't responded here, yet. 8-tracks are alive and well here in these parts.

Nando.
Does he have a store? It looks like he does or else he has cornered the market on carts!

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Realistic TR-882 player/recorder, my first and only machine so far.
100_1056.jpg

My favorite 8 track carts are Led Zeppelin III/IV/Houses of the Holy, Deep Purple-Machine Head, Moody Blues - In Search of the lost chord, Emerson Lake, and Palmer - Brain salad surgery.

Attachments

derek92994

Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed

Elite-ist

Staff member
Does he have a store? It looks like he does or else he has cornered the market on carts!
Some explanation required: This is a picture I took of a long-time friend of mine, whose name is Ian. He lives in Hamburg, Germany, and Ian came to visit his family and friends, still living in Canada. I grew up with him, when we lived in a small community, and we have lots of fond memories growing up. But, who says memories can't still be made. So, when he came to visit me last summer, I invited him out to the Innovative Audio Annual Garage Sale. That picture is taken while we were at Innovative Audio. Man, he was in awe to see such a store. He bought a dozen LPs to bring back home to Germany. I will be posting more pictures of my recent visits at IA. I was there just this past Wednesday.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
I have the TR-884 player/recorder and H-R100 and here is the picture I took last night and cropped for an avatar from one of my carts...taken with Sony Mavica MVC-FD73 floppy disc camera.
ST PARIS.jpg