Antihydrogen

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Great article Fred....we can finally get to building the starship Enterprise!

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Antimatter zip ties. Would have never thought of that Lee! Thanks! o_O

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I had the part number for the Antimatter zip ties but I had the part number to close to the regular zip tie part number and both of the numbers annihilated each other. Now I have neither.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Us Canucks ain’t so dumb I guess. The university where I live runs this program

https://phas.ubc.ca/particle-nuclear-physics

The ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider is the world's premier high-energy collider for looking for new particles at the highest energies ever probed by accelerators. The Standard Model has several mysteries that will be probed by ATLAS. In 2012 the LHC discovered the Higgs boson that gives particles mass. Dark matter, seen in astronomical and cosmological observations, is missing from the Model, and these measurements suggest it could be produced and studied at the LHC. Grand Unified Theories that unify the known forces often predict new symmetries and forces that may be evident at LHC energies.

UBC is carrying out many searches for signs of new particles or forces as well as precision measurements of known processes. Examples of the former are searches for new long-lived particles that decay somewhere in the detector, for so-called vector-like quarks (the simplest allowed extension of the quark sector), or for particles associated to new symmetries , i.e. forces, of nature. Our measurements focus on the top quark and the Higgs boson. A common thread in our research is the use of machine learning techniques for the reconstruction and identification of particles as well as its use in the final data analyses. In addition, we are involved in both the Transition Radiation Tracker, currently in operation, and are building parts of a new all-silicon Inner Tracker (ITk), to be installed in 2026. These are both part of the central detector responsible for measuring the position of charged particles. (Colin Gay, Alison Lister, and Oliver Stelzer-Chilton, plus collaborators at TRIUMF)

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Us Canucks ain’t so dumb I guess. The university where I live runs this program

https://phas.ubc.ca/particle-nuclear-physics

The ATLAS experiment at the Large Hadron Collider is the world's premier high-energy collider for looking for new particles at the highest energies ever probed by accelerators. The Standard Model has several mysteries that will be probed by ATLAS. In 2012 the LHC discovered the Higgs boson that gives particles mass. Dark matter, seen in astronomical and cosmological observations, is missing from the Model, and these measurements suggest it could be produced and studied at the LHC. Grand Unified Theories that unify the known forces often predict new symmetries and forces that may be evident at LHC energies.

UBC is carrying out many searches for signs of new particles or forces as well as precision measurements of known processes. Examples of the former are searches for new long-lived particles that decay somewhere in the detector, for so-called vector-like quarks (the simplest allowed extension of the quark sector), or for particles associated to new symmetries , i.e. forces, of nature. Our measurements focus on the top quark and the Higgs boson. A common thread in our research is the use of machine learning techniques for the reconstruction and identification of particles as well as its use in the final data analyses. In addition, we are involved in both the Transition Radiation Tracker, currently in operation, and are building parts of a new all-silicon Inner Tracker (ITk), to be installed in 2026. These are both part of the central detector responsible for measuring the position of charged particles. (Colin Gay, Alison Lister, and Oliver Stelzer-Chilton, plus collaborators at TRIUMF)

Make sure they don't unleash it at the local farmers market Glen. We already have enough going on without anti-matter reversal going on too...

J!m

Tagline
BOT
No hand rails on that ladder?

Not too smart...

Yeah, a guy could retire selling that lab zip ties!

And what's in the huge dewar?

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
No hand rails on that ladder?

Not too smart...

Yeah, a guy could retire selling that lab zip ties!

And what's in the huge dewar?
I have never seen hand rails on a portable ladder before. That must be an American thing.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I wanted to be a nuclear physicist when I finished high school. I visited the newly constructed accelerator at UBC ,our local university, in 1971 and was awestruck with what they wanted to accomplish. Well it’s amazing what they have done there in the last 49 years. I still am a little sad I never fully committed to getting into that program

Here is a little history.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIUMF

Here is where they want to go.

http://fiveyearplan.triumf.ca/about-triumf/about-our-five-year-plan

Here is more on the alpha program

https://www.triumf.ca/research-high...rovides-first-glimpse-lamb-shift-antihydrogen

574D4225-0F83-4276-8F3B-20C27C3BDF10.jpeg C3B5F192-6C55-488C-A8F6-E9F68EB654B1.jpeg C43C8980-BE3D-4A29-9910-B09B2A94E29F.jpeg

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
It all looks wicked-cool but it still takes two minutes to cook a frozen burrito. Progress?

J!m

Tagline
BOT
The ladder goes up to a platform; OSHA would call it a "permanent" structure even though it's made out of kit parts from the local supply house. So, it should have a railing (if more than three steps)

But I understand the cost control measures. We do it here. Somehow it costs less to pay three times as much to fix stuff, as an emergency, when it fails than to have any sort of ongoing PM program.

But what about my burrito?