Another Newbie

daver88

New Around These Parts
Hello:
From Surrey, BC Canada. South of Vancouver, 3 hours north of Seattle by car.
I joined recently as my Phase Linear 400, purchased new in 1975, just cooked the Line fuse. Rectifier check coming.
I have looked into the White Oak upgrades. I will probably try to install the White Oak Capacitor upgrade, perhaps the Bus Bar kit, Bridge Snubber kit with Rectifier, if advisable, and the Watts Abundant speaker protection kit. I have not checked the speakers since the fuse blew.
Being an accountant this should be fun. Knowing which switch to use on my new digital multi-meter is an accomplishment in itself. However, I will get through it. I did build a Hafler pre-amp many years ago.
Having great plans to do the Control Board kit myself may be in my future. The Backplane Board kit is a different matter.
I have talked to Mike about having the Control Board and Backplane Board kits built for me. But, being in Canada (BC) I have to add 40% to any work done down south due to the state of the Canadian dollar. Yes, even Washington State is down South. And then, I would have to put it together. No Christmas music this year.
This will be a very SLOW process. Waiting for my Variac to arrive. At least I own a light bulb...
Cheers, Dave

Attachments

grapplesaw

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Im
Hello:
From Surrey, BC Canada. South of Vancouver, 3 hours north of Seattle by car.
I joined recently as my Phase Linear 400, purchased new in 1975, just cooked the Line fuse. Rectifier check coming.
I have looked into the White Oak upgrades. I will probably try to install the White Oak Capacitor upgrade, perhaps the Bus Bar kit, Bridge Snubber kit with Rectifier, if advisable, and the Watts Abundant speaker protection kit. I have not checked the speakers since the fuse blew.
Being an accountant this should be fun. Knowing which switch to use on my new digital multi-meter is an accomplishment in itself. However, I will get through it. I did build a Hafler pre-amp many years ago.
Having great plans to do the Control Board kit myself may be in my future. The Backplane Board kit is a different matter.
I have talked to Mike about having the Control Board and Backplane Board kits built for me. But, being in Canada (BC) I have to add 40% to any work done down south due to the state of the Canadian dollar. Yes, even Washington State is down South. And then, I would have to put it together. No Christmas music this year.
This will be a very SLOW process. Waiting for my Variac to arrive. At least I own a light bulb...
Cheers, Dave
I’m in Surrey
Welcome

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
You are on the slippery slope my friend. However, you are in excellent company. It seems blowing fuses is the price of admission to this Forum.
You may have one (or two) bad capacitors in your Power Supply; that will toast a Line fuse. The WOA Capacitor upgrade will cure that.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Welcome to Phoenix AC Forum, Dave. I live in Squamish, not too far north of you.

Nando.

daver88

New Around These Parts
I feel like I have entered the Twilight Zone. I have not thought about being in a stereo candy store since my university days. I thought that in those days I had to have a McIntosh. I did buy a MR74 AM/FM tuner. It was the cheapest thing I could find. Hopefully, my heart can withstand the White Oak candy store.
I am starting on Mark’s DBT. I have to remember the silver side. The standard duplex outlet says it is tamper resistant. Ugh!
Electronics in my day was turning on a light bulb.
Oh well, Innovative can always bail me out.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
There are a few shops besides IA which can bail you out. The shop is usually backlogged with repairs. That's not to discredit their work - they are quite busy. I do a lot of business at Innovative Audio buying and selling vintage audio components.

Nando.