Another Gadget

demonx

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Ok this is one of my projects. I buy a lot of used records and cleaning them was a chore. Well it was. :happy3:

3/4 Particle Board
White Laminate
Hockey Pucks
Long 1/4 X 20 Bolt
Wing Nuts & Washers
Old Rechargeable Drill
8 Amp Transformer from All Electronics
Bridge rectifier and filter cap
Cleaning wand from commercial record cleaner
$19 Stanley Vacuum

record cleaner.jpg

ksrigg

Chief Journeyman
That looks like a very well done RCM. Wow......we need the details, and a demo ..... Inquiring minds want to know more..

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Marvelous Magical Fantastical , gotta love a guy that names his RCM that!!!

demonx

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
:shaking2:
Second that. We needs da plans Stan.
I didn't really have any plans. Just sort of winged it. It was basically just a 3/4 particle board box with laminate I had left over from some other project. The drill came from the thrift store. I got the little stanley vacuum at Menards. I ordered the Hockey pucks on line. Tell you what though. I think I did do a video of it at one point. I'll find it and put it on youtube and post a link here. Then it you guys are interested I'll supply dimensions and a materials list. Maybe you guys can help me improved it. The whole goal when i started was to keep it at $100 or less and I'd like to stay with that philosophy.

I was just speaking with the wife and she agrees that there might be one other thing I should mention to you guys. I am a ah.... what you might call.... a bit of an excessive compulsive. I tend to get something locked in to my brain and can't stop until I get to where I'm going with it. I drive a lot of people nuts. When I first got in to IT and computers I got so bad that family avoided me. They thought I was speaking some foreign language or something. So with that in mind I'll try not to drive anyone here nuts, but I make no promises. :shaking2:

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Ok this is one of my projects. I buy a lot of used records and cleaning them was a chore. Well it was. :happy3:

3/4 Particle Board
White Laminate
Hockey Pucks
Long 1/4 X 20 Bolt
Wing Nuts & Washers
Old Rechargeable Drill
8 Amp Transformer from All Electronics
Bridge rectifier and filter cap
Cleaning wand from commercial record cleaner
$19 Stanley Vacuum

View attachment 23409
Very nice Paul. Just vacuum involved with this? No liquids or any of that stuff?

demonx

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Very nice Paul. Just vacuum involved with this? No liquids or any of that stuff?
Actually there is a fluid involved. This is basically a cheap knockoff of the VPI record cleaning machine. I ordered a replacement VPI wand for my machine. You could also use their cleaning fluid and brush. I searched the web to see what other people were using and took the one which made sense to me. For the cleaning pad i use a sponge wrapped in a micro fiber fabric. I think the wife found those at Walmart or Kroger. Prior to this I was using the Discwasher record cleaner, this works way better. The actual VPI machine probably works better. This was done with that do-it-yourself spirit, which is why we are here. I'll post a video of it today.

1 gallon distilled water
1 bottle of isopropyl alcohol (not rubbing alcohol!)
few drops of dawn or jet dry

demonx

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
Actually there is a fluid involved. This is basically a cheap knockoff of the VPI record cleaning machine. I ordered a replacement VPI wand for my machine. You could also use their cleaning fluid and brush. I searched the web to see what other people were using and took the one which made sense to me. For the cleaning pad i use a sponge wrapped in a micro fiber fabric. I think the wife found those at Walmart or Kroger. Prior to this I was using the Discwasher record cleaner, this works way better. The actual VPI machine probably works better. This was done with that do-it-yourself spirit, which is why we are here. I'll post a video of it today.

1 gallon distilled water

A demonstration video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIWQG7zjVuA&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

rtp_burnsville

Chief Journeyman
:shaking2:
I tend to get something locked in to my brain and can't stop until I get to where I'm going with it. I drive a lot of people nuts. When I first got in to IT and computers I got so bad that family avoided me. They thought I was speaking some foreign language or something. So with that in mind I'll try not to drive anyone here nuts, but I make no promises. :shaking2:

Ha, I thought this was one of the requirements in becoming a member here!!! It could be my engineering background but I just love projects like this!

Robert

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments

1 gallon distilled water
What size bottle of IPA, presumably it's 99%?