And so it begins

74sdta

New Around These Parts
With this first post. Hello Phoenix group and greetings from South/Central Texas!

Long time lurker for reading and of course the pictures :) I have started my journey into restoring my gear and this place is an awesome resource for PL info. Now that I have time and the space, the gear is getting dusted off for its return to service. Current gear list;
2000 S2
5100 S2
7000 S2
400 S2 (x2)
JBL L212's
Polk Monitor 10B's

Vernon

Bob Boyer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---
Welcome aboard! Looks like you have some fun stuff to play with. Where in Texas? I have a fondness for everything from Llano to Midland to Ft. Davis to Big Bend.

74sdta

New Around These Parts
Thank you Bob, I am just outside San Antonio. Llano is a nice area. Ft Davis/Big Bend - been out that direction many times (grandparents had property in Terlingua Ranch).

74sdta

New Around These Parts
Rye, Hexis, Marco, Pulp and Jim - appreciate the warm welcome. I have a big box of goodies from Joe and a thread has been started in WOPL Building.

Vintage 700b

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Fabricator
Welcome Aboard Vernon,
Great people here and a ton of camaraderie, knowledge and passion for building, listening, tweaking, and just having fun!!!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Audio nostalgia is great, isn't it, when you have the gear but have had it parked for awhile. Trying to buy it in today's market would disuade you from rebuilding a system you once had.

Welcome Vernon and looking foward to your progress in getting your system singing again.

Nando

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Vernon,
Clearly you are a fan of the Series II Phase Linear. So this is all your fault -
When Bob Carver left Phase Linear in 1977, it signaled the end of the power amplifier company. The Phase Linear Series II was introduced in 1978, just before Pioneer acquired Phase Linear in 1979, by the new Chief Design Engineer and Engineering Manager, A. P. Van Meter, who joined Phase Linear in 1974, from McIntosh and University Sound. In 1980, the Pioneer engineers modified the original design to incorporate full complementary operation, reducing Total Harmonic Distortion and lowering InterModulation Distortion to only 0.009%. Of course this raised the price of the PL400 to $700.00. In 1981, the price of a PL400 increased again to over $800.00. This was too much of a cost (for an amplifier with a bad reputation of "Blaze Linear" and "Flame Linear") and market share dropped.

In 1982, Phase Linear was sold to Jensen Electronics. The DRS (Dynamic Range Series) were introduced at the Consumer Electronics show in January 1982, and reflected the complete break with Phase Linear's past designs.

In 1996, Jensen was acquired by Recoton Corp. (Lake Mary, FL) for $55M. Manufacturing assets from the purchase of Phase Linear (and others) were integrated into a separate company called Recoton Audio, Inc.. Recoton expanded further later that year by taking over the bankrupt Heco loudspeaker manufacturer including their East German manufacturing plant and by introducing a new line of high end car audio products under the Phase Linear brand that had not been used for a few years under Jensen's ownership.

Recoton was forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April 2003 and into full bankruptcy proceedings just a few days later. The car and home audio side of the business was auctioned off to Audiovox (now VOXX Electronics) https://www.voxxelectronics.com/history/ for 40 million USD including brand names such as Road Gear and Phase Linear. The manufacturing part of Recoton, i.e. the capacity inherited from Jensen and Acoustic Research was not purchased by anyone and was liquidated.

Welcome aboard.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Vernon,
Clearly you are a fan of the Series II Phase Linear. So this is all your fault -
When Bob Carver left Phase Linear in 1977, it signaled the end of the power amplifier company. The Phase Linear Series II was introduced in 1978, just before Pioneer acquired Phase Linear in 1979, by the new Chief Design Engineer and Engineering Manager, A. P. Van Meter, who joined Phase Linear in 1974, from McIntosh and University Sound. In 1980, the Pioneer engineers modified the original design to incorporate full complementary operation, reducing Total Harmonic Distortion and lowering InterModulation Distortion to only 0.009%. Of course this raised the price of the PL400 to $700.00. In 1981, the price of a PL400 increased again to over $800.00. This was too much of a cost (for an amplifier with a bad reputation of "Blaze Linear" and "Flame Linear") and market share dropped.

In 1982, Phase Linear was sold to Jensen Electronics. The DRS (Dynamic Range Series) were introduced at the Consumer Electronics show in January 1982, and reflected the complete break with Phase Linear's past designs.

In 1996, Jensen was acquired by Recoton Corp. (Lake Mary, FL) for $55M. Manufacturing assets from the purchase of Phase Linear (and others) were integrated into a separate company called Recoton Audio, Inc.. Recoton expanded further later that year by taking over the bankrupt Heco loudspeaker manufacturer including their East German manufacturing plant and by introducing a new line of high end car audio products under the Phase Linear brand that had not been used for a few years under Jensen's ownership.

Recoton was forced into Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in April 2003 and into full bankruptcy proceedings just a few days later. The car and home audio side of the business was auctioned off to Audiovox (now VOXX Electronics) https://www.voxxelectronics.com/history/ for 40 million USD including brand names such as Road Gear and Phase Linear. The manufacturing part of Recoton, i.e. the capacity inherited from Jensen and Acoustic Research was not purchased by anyone and was liquidated.

Welcome aboard.
A story of mismanagement...

74sdta

New Around These Parts
Joe/Nando - Thanks!

mlucitt - great history lesson on PL. I have read bits and pieces of that in my research of Phase Linear.