Ancient 700 ala Saabracer23's model

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Bikes, baseball and big amps.
First, let me introduce myself. I'm older than dirt, and love good equipment. I've done my fair share or recaps on old marantz and Pioneer equipment, and have always wanted a Phase Linear to drive my JBL L-7's. After attempting for several years to pun them with various 100W PC amps, I still was not satisfied with the power.

So I decided to dive into the pool and pick up a used 400, with the intention of doing a WOPL on it. I bought the abused amp, and the very next day, an old 700 popped up, together with a PL3000 series 2.

I went ahead and picked up the 700, and discovered it was one of the unicorn, 16 output transistor models. I ran it up with a dim bulb tester, and it powered up. One channel doesn't seem to be working. After reading Dan's threads about his old 700, I am on the fence about keeping it for restoration, or moving it along. As much as I'd like to White Oak it, it might be better to pass it along to someone would would keep it original. I lean more towards modernizing components. (Don't get me started talking about how awesome my 71 Norton Commando runs). It somewhat comes down to if it is a valuable piece that I could move along and pay for a decent 700 and/or 400?

From what I can tell, this is a very early model, it doesn't even have the fan power outlet typical of early 700's.

As for the 400, I will start a new thread on it once I get working on it. I just finished reworking two sets of AR LST's, and have another set of AR LST-2's on the table for rebuilding.

Attachments

Last edited:

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
I love my two 400 Series 2 WOPLs, and also have a 700 Pro WOPL that will sit unused for a while.
But consider this. Use one of Joe's 700 WOPL chassis along with that transformer and faceplate and the other WOAD goodies. That would make a very unique amp.
I run JBL L150 speakers. A 400 WOPL is way more amp than needed to drive them. I do prefer the Series 2 amps with WOAD Cylon meters.

George S.

Hmm, 16 outputs AND a 700? What's the rail voltage on that thing. Looks like they cut the hole in the chassis with a jigsaw. Wow!

mlucitt

First, let me introduce myself. I'm older than dirt, and love good equipment. I've done my fair share or recaps on old marantz and Pioneer equipment, and have always wanted a Phase Linear to drive my JBL L-7's. After attempting for several years to pun them with various 100W PC amps, I still was not satisfied with the power.

So I decided to dive into the pool and pick up a used 400, with the intention of doing a WOPL on it. I bought the abused amp, and the very next day, an old 700 popped up, together with a PL3000 series 2..
Is there a serial number on the PL700? Mine is 272-039.

Sunnbobb

Journeyman
Tagline
Bikes, baseball and big amps.
My research indicates this to be one of the very early Seattle made models. Since I am going for a system for my house, the modifications I would make would ruin it's Provence. So, if some one wants to buy this baby from me, shoot me an offer in a note and we can work something out. I would rather restore something along the lines of a WOPL setup....Thanks.