Amps

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
speakerman1 said:
I don't know why ; but any time I start to build a system I start with the amp and work from there. Always have don't know why.

Larry
SENERGY !! speakers first, then the amp :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually the room makes a good start, the whole reason I got the house I have now was the room, I was house sitting for a co-worker and some friends came over to watch the race, Dale said "Ya know this room would be perfect for the ML's"...so that was that, I killed my co-workers and moved on in :twisted:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Love a man that doersn't dither about makin a decision, Stu, good for you, murder should be a tool at our disposal.

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
speakerman1 said:
I don't know why ; but any time I start to build a system I start with the amp and work from there. Always have don't know why.

Larry
Speakers don't do crap by themselves, that's why.

avionic

Journeyman
stuwee said:
speakerman1 said:

Larry
SENERGY !! speakers first, then the amp :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Actually the room makes a good start, the whole reason I got the house I have now was the room, I was house sitting for a co-worker and some friends came over to watch the race, Dale said "Ya know this room would be perfect for the ML's"...so that was that, I killed my co-workers and moved on in :twisted:
Somebody say Synergy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E2LFP3H ... re=related

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Been shopping a little bit for an amp for my living room setup. The question is how Hi-end do I want to go. I was just looking at some Krell amps.There is another couple questions on my mind. Do I go tube or SS? Do I go monoblocs or a 2 channel. Haven't looked at speakers. May give Danny a shout some Line Arrays or maybe check out some B&W. So if you could go Hi-end what would you pick? No Macintosh. Not even a consideration.

Larry

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
I've never heard the KEF 105.4s, but it was one of my favourite looking speakers of the time. Remember when 1980's stereo magazines would come out with an Annual Buyer's Guide? All the components were broken down into price categories. I would scan through the most expensive products, first. I know the Infinity Reference Series was the most expensive at the time for consumer speakers. The KEFs were almost affordable.

Nando.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have a set of Cary, 100 watt monoblocs, complete with a groovy little stand you might consider, lightly used, mainly to hold down the cabinet they're sitting on.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Na, you don't want to part with the PL. With Joe's new board it will be a phenomenal amp. You do remember that it went back to you on the condition that it got this upgrade when it was available, and that was included in the original fix it pricing?????

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
No I don't remember that. Can you give me the cap values then for the new board. I'll see if I can find some more black gates w/o breaking the bank.

Larry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
In Joe's design there is only 1 electro in the signal path, no ceramics whatsoever, only mica and polypro, and a Polyphenylene sulphide(never heard of those), so blackgating this one won't break you. He has specified Nichicon KZ for the other electros so it ain't no slouch. You think it sounds good now?? You ain't heard nothin yet. Your outputs are also getting upgraded to MJ15024 On-Semi drivers and MJ 21194 On-Semi outputs, F*&^%^& bullet proof!! Yours will be right after i finish Jerry's.

Web Police

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Moderate in Moderation
laatsch55 said:
I have a set of Cary, 100 watt monoblocs, complete with a groovy little stand you might consider, lightly used, mainly to hold down the cabinet they're sitting on.

I'd buy em but I have a mortgage and doggie to feed. :cyclops: