Altecs

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
I'd love to have a pair of 19s
You and me both Ron.
Considered my many the best Altec ever made
I have been working on collecting the drivers, horns and woofers to build a set. I'm now down to the hard part.
The cabinets.

I also have a pair of kind of rare early A'8s but the sweet wife won't let them in the house. Maybe if I covered them in
some kind of wood veneer and fabric. They do look kind of utility in there classic Altec flat grey on plywood

Last edited:

JustMike

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
"Just Passin thru"
Here is what my A8's look like.
They sound really good in the shop.
416-8b-16'' woofers and 806a horn drivers on 32A bent horns.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Yes.
I have a couple of Heathkit w4am monoblocks w/about 20 watts each.
or I use my Bogen integrated Db-230a at about 30 watts per channel.
And a Bogen tube preamp.
They sound so sweet,

Ron,
Don't you have some old A7's Votts ?
Nice!

I do at my sisters in her storage outbuilding, we used to use them for the band PA when I was still playing. I am sure they are full of mice nests but I know the building is solid and dry. Have not been up there to see them in years. My step father passed away recently and he has a giant ass Klipsch horn type speaker and some Fisher tube equipment. Been thinking I should go up there before my sisters has a yardsale like she did with my grandmothers stuff and never let me knew about it!!!!

kevin

Forum Veteran and Hillbilly
Sutton does.....

Sweet lookin speaks kinda look like a corner set of 14's...
I was out there the other day... He has taken them out of his speaker room... lol.. I think when he got the K-Horns... Id say his are in a storage building somewhere !!!

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I was out there the other day... He has taken them out of his speaker room... lol.. I think when he got the K-Horns... Id say his are in a storage building somewhere !!!
Seems like that is where most are. When I went to get Lee's amps with Joe, the original VOTT's from Woodstock were sitting in the same building. I wonder if they will ever see use again

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Wow what state are those in Ron??

Seems like that is where most are. When I went to get Lee's amps with Joe, the original VOTT's from Woodstock were sitting in the same building. I wonder if they will ever see use again

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
The very first speakers I owned that I did not build were VOTT A7 500's. Got them used for $600 when I was 17. I don't think my mother much liked them but I moved out shortly after. I was forbidden to take the H.H. Scott 30WPC receiver so all I had was an 8WPC Heathkit tube amp I built in grade 9. The house I moved into was tiny and the Altecs literally would not fit in the living room so they went in an even tinier 4th bedroom totally devoid of furniture, just off the living room. They were jammed against the side walls with just enough room between for my Garrard changer. Sometimes a party attendee would stretch out on a couple of kitchen chairs with their head inside the bass horn. The black light and psychedelics made that look a bit strange sometimes. Despite only having 8WPC, the cops visited regularly re noise complaints. I sold them about a year and a half later for $500 and bought a motorcycle.

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP

Jesus, Mary and Joseph...are you kidding me? Ron, is that you in the 'Gulf' Tee? Just to stand next to them is a gift from heaven!!!