Also pondering turntable switcher

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Hi Gary,

For the utmost fidelity and cartridge loading, isn't it best to use short leads (factory) from the turntable to the preamp/receiver for capacitance loading? Adding a switcher means keeping it located centrally to all the turntables and using low-capacitance leads from the switcher to the preamp/receiver.

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Well, this Rek-O-Kut was made for running 2 Turntables to a Preamp, so it must not affect it too bad.... I'll let you know. It just showed up in the mail as did the Niles Switcher.......

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Hi Gary,

For the utmost fidelity and cartridge loading, isn't it best to use short leads (factory) from the turntable to the preamp/receiver for capacitance loading? Adding a switcher means keeping it located centrally to all the turntables and using low-capacitance leads from the switcher to the preamp/receiver.

Nando.
That is a valid technical point but I would not in a million years be able to hear that. I currently have a couple of pre-amps with variable cartridge loading and also owned for nearly 30 years a Kenwood Model 600 integrated with same. At no time, never, not once have I heard any change whatsoever from varying the settings. I chalk it up to being as far from the Golden Ear Club as one can possibly be, not being able to detect subtle changes.

My main objective (and it's a silly one from a practical standpoint) is just to have the functional capability of multiple turntable switching. And truth be told, I'm acting on an impulse which may (or may not) pass. The impulse to have eight tape decks simultaneously connected lasted nearly two years but is now on the wane.

BTW, take anything home on Innovative's garage sale day?

Elite-ist

Staff member
There is a difference I can hear when I change the impedance and capacitance loading using the controls on my Pioneer SX-1980. How many turntables you hoping to switch between, DJ Gary?

I didn't pick up any hardware at the IA Garage Sale. We bought four old Life magazines, three movie laser discs, three old Stereo Review magazines, and a CD of the performer at the event. It was a dual-purpose trip that day. Geri and I headed to Whiterock after the Garage Sale.

Knowing how much you appreciate 8-track decks, I got one of these:

With only one condition - I had to buy this to get it:

Nando.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Well, the Rek-O-Kut works fine, I have a slight hum from both tables, but can't blame the box, I gotta crawl back and hook up the ground wire.

Stereo3 001.jpg Stereo3 002.jpg

62vauxhall

Tagline
Jeez Nando, I know with a lot of things, the packaging costs more than what's inside. But you just won first prize. Buying a whole car to get the 8 track deck. Sheesh!

I brutalized my hearing with too many years of:
Riding motorcycles without ear plugs.
Going to loud concerts
Impromptu firing ranges
Being the bass player with too many really loud guitarists and drummers.

My hearing was tested in my 20's and high frequencies were going by then. No surprise I suppose that subtle distinctions escape me.

Speaking of turntables, I wound up taking two home from the garage sale. A Dual 1009 with a 1964 Empire cartridge (stylus still good) and I think that cartridge has been on the Dual for over 50 years. Plus another Garrard Zero 100 in a silver stainless type base with a blue tinted dust cover. Could not pass that by. As mentioned earlier I like the oddball and think Zero 100's are one of the nicest looking turntables out there. And with that base and cover it's kitsch personified.

Could also not ignore another APT Holman pre with a problem I think can be an easy fix and an "upside down" Akai integrated with meters.

And three LP's and an INXS CD I've been looking for.

Next year I should get my own table at the sale.

To clear the decks somewhat I donated two Dual project tables and an Elac to The Turntable Shop. Not much progress really, three out - two in but it's a start.

Elite-ist

Staff member
Gary: In a dedicated thread, I will set aside some time to post pictures I took at Innovative Audio's 10th Annual Vintage Audio & Record Garage Sale. We had a good time there. The event was well-attended with lots of good gear and media available.

Thanks for the compliments guys. Taking a look at affordable rides, this generation of cars is where it's at. Love to see more of the big Caddy, Brad.

Yah, I went overboard in getting a GM AM/FM stereo 8-track deck. Geri and I both bought the Buick. This thing is a time capsule - it even smells like 1976 when sitting inside.

Nando.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Ironic that When I first looked on e-bay for that Niles switcher, there were two. Perry, you got the new one and the one I bid on went for $1 more than my bid. Not choked at that at all, and would not have spent over the $52 US it went for.

I got intrigued enough by the 5 position switcher I saw with knob on top to investigate further. Cheapest e-bay price I saw was $32.95 with free shipping but I found an online vendor MCM, selling them for $22.98 shipped so I ordered one. Will wind up being $30 CDN so plenty 'nuff for an experiment.

The brand is YIS, undoubtedly from China but I get no hits on Google searching that name. Thought at least I'd get a link to an AK thread saying what a piece of crap it is. But there are six customer reviews on the MCM site, all (nudge, nudge) good. Mentioned was that it did have a steel box, the rotary switch had good feel and one guy says his has been doing duty for six months with no issues. So i mean really, how much better an endorsement can there be than working for six months without crapping out?

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product.aspx?productid=50-6180

62vauxhall

Tagline
FWIW, figured I'd update this. I've been using the cheapo Chinese YIS switcher for about a month and so far so good. It does have some heft thanks to the steel box and the switch action is actually butter smooth. Almost no noise going from position to position. Not much inside except a PC board and the switch itself - plastic/nylon bodied of course but it is securely chassis mounted to the steel case and not dependent on the solder connections to the board. All in all, for about $25 shipped, a pretty good buy I think.

Can't really tell from the photo, but the top is beveled a few degrees back to front.

IMG_3391.jpg