Also pondering turntable switcher

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
Coincidentally I just read Perry's thread after looking for ideas on a multiple turntable switching unit. I have a cheapo Chinese two input rocker switch unit that's a POS and want more than two inputs anyway plus a Radio Shack 3 input push button job that's probably not much better. Was considering building one from multiple DPST toggle switches, isolated RCA jacks and a steel project box but plain and simple don't have the time anymore to do stuff like that. I'd be at it for weeks - months even. The cost of parts would get up there and since of late my monthly income is sometimes less than the outgo I must indulge my whims as cheaply as possible.

Anyone have an opinion on a Niles AXP-1 for turntable use? They're long out of production but there are a couple on e-bay right now and appear in the Sold listings so they don't seem hard to come by. At least the case is supposedly steel not plastic which makes me think it should be shielded from interference and any TT's with separate ground wires I would run directly to the pre-amp.

Niles AXP-1 front.jpg Niles ASP-1 rear.jpg

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
Probably not a good alternative since it only has 2 inputs but there's also the Schiit Audio SYS unit. Includes a volume control too! Totally passive with NO power input at all.
ALSO... you can use it as one input and 2 outputs with the volume control functional.
At $50 it's handy to have around.

http://schiit.com/products/sys

My current use of the SYS as a preamp:

iMac > Schiit Bifrost (multibit) DAC > SYS > Aragon 8008bb > NHT 2.9

Fun little system!

62vauxhall

Tagline
Thanks R12 and your recommendation with its pedigree is no doubt better suited to phono switching than that Niles. But for no logical reason, I want multiple turntable switching. There are three I can leave connected if inputs allowed and I could expand that to five. Like I said, no logical or practical for that matter reason. Went through a similar phase with speakers once. Had six pairs hooked up in my living room via a ten pair ex-sound room switcher.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Thanks R12 and your recommendation with its pedigree is no doubt better suited to phono switching than that Niles. But for no logical reason, I want multiple turntable switching. There are three I can leave connected if inputs allowed and I could expand that to five. Like I said, no logical or practical for that matter reason. Went through a similar phase with speakers once. Had six pairs hooked up in my living room via a ten pair ex-sound room switcher.
Gary, I just picked up a Niles APX-1, should be here in a few days. I think I can run both Turn Tables into it and the output to the Pyle Phono Pre then to the Preamp. I'll let you know how it works and see if there is any noise/distortion.

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
I hear ya. I have 3 tables and I'm always plugging and unplugging.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
If you only need to deal with 2 Turntables, this will work great. Built just for this application. I bought one to try. The price is cheap too.

https://soundapproach.com/rek-o-kut-low-noise-stereo-phono-aux-switch.html

62vauxhall

Tagline
Gary, I just picked up a Niles APX-1, should be here in a few days. I think I can run both Turn Tables into it and the output to the Pyle Phono Pre then to the Preamp. I'll let you know how it works and see if there is any noise/distortion.
I put in a bid on one last night but it went over my $51 maximum today and I did not go higher. With exchange and $10 shipping, it would have been over 80 Great White North bucks and that was even too high for me. I was hoping it would have stayed below $40.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I put in a bid on one last night but it went over my $51 maximum today and I did not go higher. With exchange and $10 shipping, it would have been over 80 Great White North bucks and that was even too high for me. I was hoping it would have stayed below $40.
Yeah, look at the Rek-O-kut...... $37.00

62vauxhall

Tagline
Nice price for sure and probably a good product but only two turntables.

I'm not locked into that Niles but I am somewhat familiar with their stuff. One of the retailers I was with had a Custom Install division right at the beginning of they home theater / multi room wave and they used Niles exclusively.

One of those APX-1's will show up eventually. All I have to do is not be on the hunt and they'll drop from the sky.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I got a db systems switch box decades ago that has ground lugs for each input that worked very well for a phono switch box. Putting it in service for high level switching since the preamp I am using now has 3 phono inputs (just what I need), two tape loops and only a tuner and aux high level input and I use two tape units and more than 2 high level inputs.

I just looked at their site and the DB-whatever unit on the accessories page does not show the ground lugs as part of the unit anymore. It looks a lot like the Niles. Something like that might be the right box, if you can get it at the right price.

http://www.dbsystemsaudio.com/ The unit in the review is what I have.

62vauxhall

Tagline
Curious, where did you find the APX-1 and if you don't mind my asking, what did it cost?

62vauxhall

Tagline
I was going to ask if you might be doing that but the currency conversion makes it prohibitive.

During the past couple of years I accumulated three DBX 200's. They are all connected for multiple tape recorder switching which is ridiculous actually. Am now inclined to abandon that setup, shelve a couple decks and use one of the 200's for turntables. The pre-amp I'll be using has two phono ins so I can be good for four. Way more sensible than having over six tape recorders at the ready, right?

What was attractive to me about the Niles switcher is the size, able to place it on top where the turntables are. I saw some vendors selling a Chinese made multiple input selector for about $35 with it's rotary switch knob top side. I really like that. Great ergonomically for my purpose but undoubtedly just a POS plastic box.

It makes more sense cost wise to re-purpose a DBX-200 for now and continue looking for one of those Niles. I am drawn into anywhere used stuff is sold, drive around town and surrounding area all day for work and frequently have the opportunity to pop inside said used stuff stores, I'll just include a Niles switcher on the list of what to scour for. And get Just Listed alerts from e-bay. There might be a cheapie. Sold section contained one that went for six bucks.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I was going to ask if you might be doing that but the currency conversion makes it prohibitive.

During the past couple of years I accumulated three DBX 200's. They are all connected for multiple tape recorder switching which is ridiculous actually. Am now inclined to abandon that setup, shelve a couple decks and use one of the 200's for turntables. The pre-amp I'll be using has two phono ins so I can be good for four. Way more sensible than having over six tape recorders at the ready, right?

What was attractive to me about the Niles switcher is the size, able to place it on top where the turntables are. I saw some vendors selling a Chinese made multiple input selector for about $35 with it's rotary switch knob top side. I really like that. Great ergonomically for my purpose but undoubtedly just a POS plastic box.

It makes more sense cost wise to re-purpose a DBX-200 for now and continue looking for one of those Niles. I am drawn into anywhere used stuff is sold, drive around town and surrounding area all day for work and frequently have the opportunity to pop inside said used stuff stores, I'll just include a Niles switcher on the list of what to scour for. And get Just Listed alerts from e-bay. There might be a cheapie. Sold section contained one that went for six bucks.

I may be open to a trade if I decide the Rek-O-Kut is all I need. I'll know more next week after playing with them.

62vauxhall

Tagline
I may be open to a trade if I decide the Rek-O-Kut is all I need. I'll know more next week after playing with them.
That's an interesting proposal. I'd be keen to learn what I have that would interest you. I take roads less travelled and am attracted by oddballs and underdogs.