Alpine and other car decks from recycling market

derek92994

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Those who enter the man cave will get WOPLed
Have picked these up over the past few weeks for $3 each. I always like to have a stash of spares since tape is my preferred format in the car.

The JVC KS-FX385 and Sony XR-C5100 are awaiting wiring harnesses which I have on order from overseas before I can test them. The Kenwood KRC-370 tested perfectly, has been cleaned and demagnetized, I hooked this up to my home amps and the sound was great, it has mechanical functions, not full logic and the only downside is that it does not retract the heads when you turn the power off like the Alpines do, so its not as gentle with tapes, i'd be ejecting them manually before power down in that case. The belts are intact on all units.

The Alpine 7155E is functioning but the motorized tape loading mechanism will not take a tape in, a shame because its such a stylish "retro" looking unit, it does not have line out, just speaker output, old school.
The Alpine 7514 had a tape still in it, it powered up and functioned well, this one has line outs on it.

I currently use an Alpine TDA-7552E in the car, it has been very reliable and gentle with tapes, plays perfectly in both directions with equal fidelity, this was a $5 find at the recycling market, it had played only 1 or 2 tapes, immaculate inside:

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Derek: I have a fetish for old car audio, too. I love the Alpine deck for it's block-styling. Cool green back-lighting for illumination, too. I have a 90's Pioneer Premier deck with CD changer I bought at a marine used supply store. I need the output harness for it, too. I haven't been looking too hard for one, yet. What is your source for harnesses?

Nando.

Last edited:

derek92994

Tagline
Derek: I have a fetish for old car audio, too. I love the Alpine deck for it's block-styling. Cool green back-lighting for illumination, too. I have a 90's Pioneer Premier deck with CD changer I bought at a marine used supply store. I need the output harness for it, too. I haven't been looking too hard for one, yet. What is your source for harnesses?

Nando.
I use ebay to find the wiring harnesses, in most cases they have one but you should check out the picture carefully and count how many pins are on the plug and how they are spaced out to be sure it matches the deck.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Thanks, Derek. I believe, I tried the model # of the receiver in one of my searches on the internet for the harness, but I wasn't successful.

Nando.

derek92994

Tagline
Thanks, Derek. I believe, I tried the model # of the receiver in one of my searches on the internet for the harness, but I wasn't successful.

Nando.
I just search for "Pioneer Harness" or "Pioneer Wire Harness" on ebay and I use the pictures to see if there is a match, there is quite a few of them. Actually the wire harnesses for the JVC and the Sony decks I have are identical.