Allen 20: Three ways.....

Well...in an effort to get a set of Acrosound output for my Allen 20's I've ended up with three different amp :)

Two have the "Rondo" markings and one is just branded "Allen Organ" (the Rondo's have the same Allen Organ on them as well).

One of the Rondo's is serial number 1192 and has what I think is an Acrosound opt with the markings "M8-943" and "SP-511"

The one marked only Allen Organ is serial number 2080 and has what I think to be an Acrosound opt with the markings "M8-943G" and "A0-85-0"

The believed Acrosounds opt's look a bit different on the bottom where the wires come out. The wires appear to be a bit different color and the earlier serial number one has what looks to be a smaller gauge wire (may just be the wrap).

The third, serial number 3259, has a Stancor opt marked "M8943" and "231-4R"

A close look underneath shows they all have a bit different circuit also. This is no big deal as at least two will be modded to use the same circuit.

Does anyone know if the two opt's I believe are Acrosounds really are Acrosounds and if so are they the same or different as they are marked differently.

My plan was to swap the Acrosound opt and the Stancor so both Rondo amps would be matching in opt. What do you all think?

Most likely different vintage
My thought as well. Especially knowing they are all about a thousand units from each other in serial numbers.

My real concern is if these are indeed Acrosound T-300's. Time to get the meter out and take some measurements. Have an amp in the que ahead of them. It's my main tube amp so I gotta get focused on it now that I have all the parts needed.

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights
Well...in an effort to get a set of Acrosound output for my Allen 20's I've ended up with three different amp :)

Two have the "Rondo" markings and one is just branded "Allen Organ" (the Rondo's have the same Allen Organ on them as well).

One of the Rondo's is serial number 1192 and has what I think is an Acrosound opt with the markings "M8-943" and "SP-511"

The one marked only Allen Organ is serial number 2080 and has what I think to be an Acrosound opt with the markings "M8-943G" and "A0-85-0"

The believed Acrosounds opt's look a bit different on the bottom where the wires come out. The wires appear to be a bit different color and the earlier serial number one has what looks to be a smaller gauge wire (may just be the wrap).

A close look underneath shows they all have a bit different circuit also. This is no big deal as at least two will be modded to use the same circuit.

Does anyone know if the two opt's I believe are Acrosounds really are Acrosounds and if so are they the same or different as they are marked differently.

My plan was to swap the Acrosound opt and the Stancor so both Rondo amps would be matching in opt. What do you all think?
They string tied them. Wonder if I can still do it? We used what they called a Boeing knot. If you tied it right it would not come loose and was tighter the a zip tie. If you had a pin pushing out when you plugged a cannon plug in. If you didn't have time. You tied it to another wire to hold it. No zip ties in the fuselage only outside. That was a Boeing rule.

Last edited:

speakerman1

Honorary Forum "Larrt" (ornery too)
Tagline
Wasted Days and Wasted Nights

They string tied them. Wonder if I can still do it? We used what they called a Boeing knot. If you tied it right it would not come loose and was tighter the a zip tie. If you had a pin pushing out when you plugged a cannon plug in. If you didn't have time. You tied it to another wire to hold it. No zip ties in the fuselage only outside. That was a Boeing rule. Did I double post? LOL

They string tied them. Wonder if I can still do it? We used what they called a Boeing knot. If you tied it right it would not come loose and was tighter the a zip tie. If you had a pin pushing out when you plugged a cannon plug in. If you didn't have time. You tied it to another wire to hold it. No zip ties in the fuselage only outside. That was a Boeing rule. Did I double post? LOL

Yup, "cable lacing" is a lost art for sure. One of the reasosns I am i bit leary if swapping transformers. I'm hoping I can just pull the wires out and pull the new ones through so it lloks stock. Of coures, none of this could be what happenes depending on the circuit used.