Akai GX 635D

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
The new tape available is great and if you decide to go with it, go for it but I'd not prefer to use 40 year old tape if I didn't HAVE too. Don't take what we say so serious...... You asked, you get. Not an attack on you.... Ease up
The advice you posted was thinly veiled criticism followed by "have fun".

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Regarding old CASSETTE tape, I'll stick with my 40-year old tape thank you.

I've yet to find a "new" tape that out-performs the old junky TDK, even pre-recorded/used/recycled tape. There is no comparison of quality and the type-II technology has been lost.

Real (read: 1"+) tape never went away, and running at 15 IPS sounds as good now as it did in 1970. If you're running an open reel, get a good new tape and don't look back. If running cassettes, get a good type-II (TDK, Maxell etc.) and enjoy those. You will be hard pressed to out-perform them with anything else in that format.

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
Ok B
Regarding old CASSETTE tape, I'll stick with my 40-year old tape thank you.

I've yet to find a "new" tape that out-performs the old junky TDK, even pre-recorded/used/recycled tape. There is no comparison of quality and the type-II technology has been lost.

Real (read: 1"+) tape never went away, and running at 15 IPS sounds as good now as it did in 1970. If you're running an open reel, get a good new tape and don't look back. If running cassettes, get a good type-II (TDK, Maxell etc.) and enjoy those. You will be hard pressed to out-perform them with anything else in that format.
Thank you Jim. I have some reels of Maxell UD that were recorded on the Akai X360 and also some 10.5 35-180b new old stock. Nice to listen to stuff I recorded decades ago...So far the UD sounds great, will try the 35-180b soon. I will probably buy the ATR Master grade stuff to try for future recordings. Thanks again for the help, I appreciate it!

J!m

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
BOT
Modern type-I tape is fine. And best suited to an open reel where you can up the speed.

Type -I cassettes make no sense with billions of NOS ones out there. Always a TDK D can be had cheaply and they have held up fine.

The new type-II tapes, which are really just now becoming available (Tascam branded and the maker selling under their own name) leave a lot to be desired. Fanboys are raving about it but the cost : performance ratio is not favorable. If TDK or Maxell still made tape their type-II would be quite expensive due to inflation, but it would also be infinitely better than the newcomers.

Anyone can make a shell; it’s the alchemy of making the tape (coating) that is lacking. But new shells have no shortage of suck either.

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
Modern type-I tape is fine. And best suited to an open reel where you can up the speed.

Type -I cassettes make no sense with billions of NOS ones out there. Always a TDK D can be had cheaply and they have held up fine.

The new type-II tapes, which are really just now becoming available (Tascam branded and the maker selling under their own name) leave a lot to be desired. Fanboys are raving about it but the cost : performance ratio is not favorable. If TDK or Maxell still made tape their type-II would be quite expensive due to inflation, but it would also be infinitely better than the newcomers.

Anyone can make a shell; it’s the alchemy of making the tape (coating) that is lacking. But new shells have no shortage of suck either.
Reel to Reel Warehouse has a lot of good info regarding the various types of tape construction/formulation, etc.

Preemptive legal disclaimer- Not my company, nor do I have any interest financially in this company. All information on the website is property of Reel to Reel Warehouse and is not mine. California Prop 65 warning- tape may cause cancer if you eat it.

https://reeltoreelwarehouse.com/