Akai GX 635D

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
I bought an Akai GX 635D that was in the original box, and looks brand new. The right side reel motor was shorted internally. The innards look brand new, too. No roaches, bugs, corrosion at all. I think the motor went out early in the life of this deck and it got pigeon-holed. The grease is still grease, and nylon/plastic stuff is still white with no yellowing. I replaced the motor stator assembly and it is now up and running, played through a PL 700b. Anyone have advice on tape? I know about sticky shed syndrome and seems NOS Maxell does not have that problem and therefore gtg. What about new tape from ATR?

Attachments

George S.

Veteran and General Yakker
Beautiful machine. I like Akai stuff, especially the early 80's gear. Very distinctive designs.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Dammitall, here you go getting me interested again. That's a really nice Akai, Kyle. You done good.

As to tape, yes, for my money - and a lot of it - ATR is the best but you have to be able to bias the deck to it. I think the later decks - like this one - may have the circuitry it takes to do so. My B77 was set for ATR and it was incredible. I also used a lot of RTM back when it was whatever it was before RTM and found it excellent as well. But ATR could be flogged like a rented mule if the deck is set up for it.

Given that the only NOS tape worth owning these days is non-backcoated Maxell and it's as, or more, expensive than new ATR, just get new tape and support your friendly local or not so local dealer. I can suggest Adam Dalton at Nashville Recording Supply (https://nashvillerecordingsupply.com) who ships ATR and RTM everywhere and is a helluva nice guy. His prices match most everyone's and he has lava lamps in stock so there's that.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Dammitall, here you go getting me interested again. That's a really nice Akai, Kyle. You done good.

As to tape, yes, for my money - and a lot of it - ATR is the best but you have to be able to bias the deck to it. I think the later decks - like this one - may have the circuitry it takes to do so. My B77 was set for ATR and it was incredible. I also used a lot of RTM back when it was whatever it was before RTM and found it excellent as well. But ATR could be flogged like a rented mule if the deck is set up for it.

Given that the only NOS tape worth owning these days is non-backcoated Maxell and it's as, or more, expensive than new ATR, just get new tape and support your friendly local or not so local dealer. I can suggest Adam Dalton at Nashville Recording Supply (https://nashvillerecordingsupply.com) who ships ATR and RTM everywhere and is a helluva nice guy. His prices match most everyone's and he has lava lamps in stock so there's that.

I second Nashville Recording Supply......... I bought A TON of the RTM from him about a year or so ago.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
Glad to know that, Perry. Adam has been as helpful as he could be over all those years I had that little vintage studio in the other house. He'd even meet me at Nakdoc's place - or drop tapes off there - if we were going to otherwise miss each other on any of my Nashville trips. And I'm not talking about big orders, either. He'd just throw my stuff in the car with whatever he was delivering to his studio clients that day and I could get it from Tom when I got to his place.

mr_rye89

Tagline
Lost in the Ozone Again

I had to re-cap mine and replaced most transistors in it. It doesn't sound good with the Scotch and Maxell I have. Been meaning to feed it something modern......

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Glad to know that, Perry. Adam has been as helpful as he could be over all those years I had that little vintage studio in the other house. He'd even meet me at Nakdoc's place - or drop tapes off there - if we were going to otherwise miss each other on any of my Nashville trips. And I'm not talking about big orders, either. He'd just throw my stuff in the car with whatever he was delivering to his studio clients that day and I could get it from Tom when I got to his place.

I got 8 2500' reels of the 911, for like $600 shipped. I still got one left I use to test machines with. I'll use it for this Tandberg too when I get this ROK completed.

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
It does have 458s which I will R&R later. Just glad transport etc. function now. Thanks for the info on tape- A long time ago I had an Akai X360d and could peg the VUs when recording with Maxell UD. Does the Maxell with backing (35-180b) have problems?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Pegging the Vu meters really doesn't prove that the Maxell tape is "Da Bomb"........ Sounds like your stuck on old tape. Have fun. :)

Last edited:

Ronnie_B

New Around These Parts
Pegging the Vu meters really doesn't prove that the Maxell tape is "Da Bomb"........ Sounds like your stuck on old tape. Have fun. :)
No I am not stuck on old tape, just pointing out that not all tape was equal even back in 1970 something. Do I need a lawyer to revue everything I post on here?

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
The new tape available is great and if you decide to go with it, go for it but I'd not prefer to use 40 year old tape if I didn't HAVE too. Don't take what we say so serious...... You asked, you get. Not an attack on you.... Ease up