Airline 62-9013A Guitar Amp "refresh"

Pretty slow here in the tube section so I thought I'd post this little Airline guitar amp I will be "refreshing" this weekend. I'm not going to do a full recap or replace all resistors but I will replace all 'lytic caps and maybe the couplers and the power tubes.....

But first, the back story on the Airline amp:

About 12 years ago I bought this cool little amp but the original speaker (can't remember what it was right now) was shot and it was missing the back. I just happened to have a nice Jensen C12R (220233) So I put it in the amp with excellent results. A "keeper" for sure.

Fast forward two years...A friend of mine and I are out riding ATV's. We had a collision, I was fine but his right foot was broke in a couple places. Neither one of us were working or had insurance at the time. Knowing he had no money (neither did I) I felt bad as I was involved. I figured I had two options, I could sell the Airline and a very cool, two "mustache" pickup, sunburst Harmony Rocket I had or I could offer them to him to either sell or keep. I asked him what he'd prefer I do and he said he'd like the guitar and amp so I gave them to him.

Fast forward to last weekend...My friend I gave the guitar/amp combo to just happens to live in the Mojave also. A friend and myself recently helped him put together a nice starter vintage system and he asked me to help him set it up. While bringing the gear in the house I notice the old Airline amp sitting on a shelf in the garage. He said he does not use it often so I asked him if I could bring it home and at the very least rebuild the power supply for him to guarantee years of reliable service. So, now I have this cool little project to complete. The amps are stellar little amps and break up so nice.....

The amp runs a pair of 12AX7's, a 6X4 rectifier, a pair of 6V6GT;s and a 6AU6.

Thanks, but it's not mine....just want to make sure it has no issues for my buddy in the future (it was mine at one point). It sure was sold by Wards. It Danelctro built iirc. Same basic amp as Sear's Silvertone 1482 iirc.

This thing sure is sweet. Makes those well known Fenders run for the hills ;)

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hmmm. My brother in law brought out an old Ward's Airline receiver a couple of years back. I wasn't too interested in it, but maybe I should take another look? Wasn't tubes tho..