ADC Sound Shaper Thirty Three Stereo Frequency Equalizer

Fishoz

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Always learning!
So....neighbor popped over yesterday with this equalizer he had sitting around, thought I'd like to have it. OK...now what do I do and how in the hell do you hook it up?

Never had an equalizer - always liked my music without color. Is it even worthwhile hooking up to my system???

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Do you detect deficiencies in you system?

Run.it through your tape monitor loop or processor loop .

BlazeES

Tagline
---
You should try it out. Cost you nothing and you can check that bucket-list item as 'Been there - done that'. Just connect it up through a Tape loop and give it a whirl.
There is always a recording suffering from s h ! t mastering that can benefit from a little boost or attenuation here or there. And for the rest of the time you just by-pass it by not engaging the Tape loop...

or you can dispose of it.

kingman

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Have an ADC eq. series 20? Used it with a pair of Bose 901's. Only speaker I had that I thought could benefit from it.

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I am the De-Oxit King!!! Soak that sucker!
I'm leery of using contact cleaner in EQ slides. It made them real stiff to move in a 20 band per side MXR EQ and an NEC 10 band. That MXR used up a lot of cleaner too.

Tried using it again recently as an experiment, on the slide pots of a friend's nearly gone from this world all-in-one receiver. It turned out to be totally buggered so if I ruined the slides, no biggie. And it did.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I have seen slider cleaning/repair kits recently. You need to disassemble them to do it right.
Deoxit has a couple different fader lube/ cleaners too.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm leery of using contact cleaner in EQ slides. It made them real stiff to move in a 20 band per side MXR EQ and an NEC 10 band. That MXR used up a lot of cleaner too.

Tried using it again recently as an experiment, on the slide pots of a friend's nearly gone from this world all-in-one receiver. It turned out to be totally buggered so if I ruined the slides, no biggie. And it did.
You shouldn't need any "Contact Cleaner"... Use Deoxit F-5 as it is a cleaner with fader lube and then follow up with a drop or two of F-100L which is straight fader lube. I just used it on an Altec Lansing 729A and it worked like a charm. Regular contact cleaner is hard on the sliders but the D5 and the F5 are fine as long as you follow up with the F-100L before the D5/F5 dry. I also do this to the Volume controls on the 700's. They also make a fader grease but it's hard to get it where you need it and sometimes requires disassembly of the fader/slide/pot to apply properly.
https://caig.com/deoxit-grease-landing/

62vauxhall

Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
You shouldn't need any "Contact Cleaner"... Use Deoxit F-5 as it is a cleaner with fader lube and then follow up with a drop or two of F-100L which is straight fader lube. I just used it on an Altec Lansing 729A and it worked like a charm. Regular contact cleaner is hard on the sliders but the D5 and the F5 are fine as long as you follow up with the F-100L before the D5/F5 dry. I also do this to the Volume controls on the 700's. They also make a fader grease but it's hard to get it where you need it and sometimes requires disassembly of the fader/slide/pot to apply properly.
https://caig.com/deoxit-grease-landing/
I wish I'd known that before as I have F-5. Unfortunately I was following the instructions as told to me by the guy in the music store - "De-Oxit first and then F-5" so that's what I did. As a matter of fact, he sold me F-5 as Fader Lube because that's what I asked for.

So thanks for the heads up on that. If I ever come across slides again, I'll use F-5. But your saying that F-100L (never seen it yet but haven't looked or asked for it either) is a necessary last step?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
100 first , then F5 is USUALLY the way to go. I have learned over the years that ya just can't tell how an old pot will respond to the Caig chemicals. I have cleaned and relubed sliders with 100,. then F5, or F5, then 100 the De-oxit "GOLD". I do not have a consensus for what ever way is best or the best combination. I do know once a pot has been stripped of its lube , it rarely works smooth again. Sometimes, it can be usable, but never like new.
IF IN doubt, like Perry, I go with the F5 first, F5 seems to be a good and safe first strike. If that doesn't do it, then ya ain't got much to lose, go with the 100, then F5. I do know, it's a better shot before the pot gets "sticky" or hard to turn...

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 100 in my case is D100, haven't worked with the F100...I better look into it...