A Tape Surprise

Lazarus Short

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
I'm the Red Knight, by grant of the Black
Agreed - that was a good review, Laz. Are you fooling around with cassette tapes, anymore?

Nando.
I play a tape once in a while, but have not recorded a tape in many years. I only got into it to make tapes to play on my KP-500...which I still have. It has a GREAT tuner.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Amazing you still have your Pioneer KP-500 car cassette/FM tuner. My voracious appetite for playing cassettes and using hi-fi audio started with cars in 1979.

Nando.

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
Here is an example of my purchases back then:

Pioneer Car Stereo002_zpsvcktux0z.jpg

And I still have a card file index box detailing all the pre-recorded cassette tapes I bought back then.

Nando.

Skywavebe

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
Work too much
TDK D was a good tape for many years and still is if you have the old stuff- a client sent me a C-90 to calibrate to that was made in China and it's print level was 1 dB down from the old D-60 I had from the 80 or 90's. The Maxell XL I and XL I S tapes are the best tapes we tested at Teac and the noise and distortion on XL I S was lower than Metal. Metal is higher distortion due to the coercivity and bias it takes. It is hard for some decks to record to it. In rating Metal tapes the Teac Metals that had MX (Maxell) in them were surpassed by the Sony XR Metal tape I bought that is automatically higher print level by 2dB all the time. I don't know how they do this but it is the opposite to the kind of thing you find with some BASF Chrome tapes that can be as bad a -5dB down like the NAC 799. Teac machines can not be calibrated to this tape without modification. Some have told me that the BASF tape is quieter but I only found a 1dB better noise and yet 5dB lower print so that to me is not better. This tape may in all fairness not be the BASF but that stuff from Korea. I consider it to be rubbish as they say in the UK. Sometimes I have to try new terms. There are some BASF tapes that do work well but it is not the majority of them. NAC 771 did do the same as the Maxell XL II but they ran out of the good stuff a long time already.