A guide to sending those unfinished wooden cassette storage sleving units...

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
(Such as the 'Napa Valley' brand or similar)

I've received a few unfinished wood cassette shelves lately, usually with tapes in them to save on space and thought I should offer some tips.

• It's generally a really good idea to glue a bead and smear it around the edge of the back, let it dry and if you need to place some wide packing (cellophane) tape over that and even heat it down to seal.
  • This sounds like it's messing up the OEM look but since you can't see it AND many of these shelves are simply STAPLED together you will undoubtedly encounter the back or other parts shifting and tearing free...
  • Especially when filled with tapes.
  • make sure the slats are somehow tied down, perhaps with masking tape or similar, going up and down. They can pop out and also bend, perhaps snapping in the process.
  • Leaving a few cassettes in the shelf will allow them to slip and fall in behind the slats, increasing the chance of pushed and broken slats.

Since the postage for sending one medium sized shelving unit filled can exceed 25 dollars it is important to secure them and make sure they are adequiely packed.

And of course, thank you to all who have sent me shelves and tapes as well!

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Bringing this up to date, I've watched the kingdom.com site (church and such audiovisual products) site and their 100 cassette shelving (they also have a 40 cassette shelf the site says) but the item has been on backorder for some time...

The manufacturer had some problems with the product that they worked out but I gather that they really have underestimated the popularity of the item.

Too bad because at $25 a pop I would really love about 4 or 5 of those puppies.

http://www.kingdom.com/100-capacity-wooden-cassette-rack-unfinished-wood.html