700B submerged in 6” of water....hmmmmm...

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
It's not pretty. It was packaged well but the condition is rather worse than I had hoped. It's still draining water.
Sorry to hear that Bill. The transformers and meters are the only valuable part these days.

berndt

New Around These Parts
I just unpacked it. All the knobs are frozen but I think if I can disassemble them I can sort it out

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Soak them in a baggie with deoxit....... But, may not be saved. I had quite a few rusty ones from the Hawaii Clairs which were not salvageable. The steel cases on those pots just crust up and die

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I have a lot of original parts if you need some. BUT, the best bet is to WOPL that mother with Joe's goodies. But I do have a some control boards, backplanes and light boards... Just pay for shipping. I have that stuff from 700B's and Series II's, some work, some will need restoration but that's the name of the game.

berndt

New Around These Parts
I'm just finishing a 400 with all the wopl stuff. I was planning on going whole hog. I'm not married to having pots, but I'd like to save the gauges if possible.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
So you think the whole amp was underwater and then the water level came down to the left meter for awhile (rust formed) then the amp was rescued?
Use "RESCUED" Loosely Mark..... The one meter movement wont survive and the transformer is shot so...... Those things (Transformers and analog meters) are the only thing we can't get...... I may have a meter movement though.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Replacement pots are like 3 bucks each. Replace em..... Having a volume control is much needed. I had a customer without them and that didn't last long.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I would not be able to use my PL5000 tuner at all without the gain controls on the amp.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Very nice pre. But apparently the output of the tuner is a tad high. I've not measured. With the amps gain full up, the tuner is WAY loud on the first step of the pre's volume control. ( Attenuater)
My previous pre had a -20db mute button for these situations.

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I'm all for amp gain controls as well. Would not want a Ferrari at full throttle all the time. Also nice to be able to swap cables without a power cycle.

Why is that Brad? No preamp in the setup??

oldphaser

Chief Journeyman
Very nice pre. But apparently the output of the tuner is a tad high. I've not measured. With the amps gain full up, the tuner is WAY loud on the first step of the pre's volume control. ( Attenuater)
My previous pre had a -20db mute button for these situations.

Just a note in case you weren't already aware.......

The Phase Linear 5000 has fixed and variable outputs.

By the way, the 5000 also uses the same Switchcraft 3501FR RCA jacks some of the amplifiers used which become loose over time. Usually it is just the pair that is normally used that becomes loose. The other pair should still be good.

Ed

Attachments

mlucitt

The Phase Linear 5000 has fixed and variable outputs.
I adjusted PL 5000 output to be the same amplitude as my CD player, so switching between them did not require a volume adjustment.

Still, the WOPL 700 needs to be attenuated on the inputs, just for safety. Starting a CD or dropping a needle on a record at accidental almost full volume would require EMTs to be called.

Bradrock

Tagline
---I run with Scissors
I remembered the 5000's variable output as I was typing that post. Thanks Ed.
As soon as a CD or record is done, the first thing I do is turn the volume all the way down. Sometimes I also flip the mute switch on my pre.
When I start another CD, I wait to see the counter start going before I turn it up.
My 700b will never see full volume. I'm banging 104 decibles on my Tripplet SPL meter at 1/3rd volume . That's fairly loud for me. I have no neighbors though, so it WILL get louder at times.