700B or 700 II

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Hey Ed, got a quick question for ya... Probably not a quick answer but I have been reading as many posts as I can get through but I'm not seeing anything to help me through. Since 700B's are getting harder to find, will a 700 II be as good as the 700B if all the WO upgrades are done to it? Thanks

Perry

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep...not a problem. The only difference is the LED display . It requires a 12 volt winding for the LED drivers instead of the 6 vol5 winding of old. Joe has custom built his LED boars to work with a set IN transformer. A few Ser II's have been converted and all have had trouble accepting the backplane boards, as the Ser II'S chassis are a wee bit shorter. Lucky for us Joe's chassis are universal for SER 1's, B's, and SER II'S....

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
If you get your hands on a series II and want to put backplanes in it , yes you need a new chassis. No power difference between the two amps, although I've noticed less "hot" transformers in the series II's than the B's.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I'm just learning these amps so bear (bare?) with me... Are backplanes necessary (recommended) on these 700's?

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
That's one of the better upgrades for it. That and a new driver board and you have a state of the art, quiet as a mouse, as whooping amp. A WOPL has sent many an amp screaming from my house.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Excellent. The Guy in Ohio recommended you (he has 2 of the 700B's on CL). He has not go back to me yet and the price is kinda high.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I looked at the prices for the chassis and stuff at WO... Seems reasonable to me and definitely worth it if it means no problems down the road. I spent too much on speaker parts to want to deal with that. Thanks

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I have 20 700B's but the faceplates and chassis were trashed on the Aerosmith "Pump" tour. A couple thrashers could be had pretty cheap. No guarantees on the meters, but Joe makes all the rest.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I see that the face plates for the 400's are available (lazer etched by somebody on the bay). Are the FP's available for the 700B's (aftermarket?)

If I can secure most of the parts, I would consider doing total rebuilds. The meters are common failures or just because they were beat to death during the tour?

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
I have 20 700B's but the faceplates and chassis were trashed on the Aerosmith "Pump" tour. A couple thrashers could be had pretty cheap. No guarantees on the meters, but Joe makes all the rest.
I thought these amps were from their 1st and second tours Lee? Pump was quite a bit after eh? I think your forgetting that quite a few of them are just 700s. I think there is 19 amps left here??? I will have to count them again. I wanted to get one or two more packed up but have not had the opportunity yet. Hopefully this week

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Will any other model of meter work on the 700's? the 400's look the same and may be able to find one for salvage if the meters are bad.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I thought these amps were from their 1st and second tours Lee? Pump was quite a bit after eh? I think your forgetting that quite a few of them are just 700s. I think there is 19 amps left here??? I will have to count them again. I wanted to get one or two more packed up but have not had the opportunity yet. Hopefully this week
You guys check your stock for 700B's, I'll let you know later but it looks like I would like to buy 2....