700B and speaker impedance

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Bots can compose posts??
Oh yes, and they take bits and pieces of the threads to try and make a pertinent sounding post sometimes. It sounds like Jabberwock in reverse to me.

But if Jer says it looks like a bot then it's going to be scouring the site. Legitimate bots don't ask questions. There is nothing wrong with most bots, they are working to add information to their search engines for others to find information.

Perhaps we should call them anti-bots or evil weevils.

orange

Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
We'll all be busy fighting for our meals in the Teenage Wasteland and gratuitous zombie apocalypse by then.

tivali

New Around These Parts
Tagline
---
I've always thought of impedance as the AC equivalent to resistance in a DC circuit.

MrRags

New Around These Parts
Welcome to our forum. Although the Klipsch CF-3 are rated at 8 ohms, that's only an average rating. I bet that in the low frequency range the draw on the amp would be 3 ohms, if you hooked them up in parallel. I would also recommend speaker protection for those speakers while running the PL 700B. Those speakers are fairly efficient from the specs I've read at 100dB 1watt/1meter.

Nando.
What kind of posts are and plugs are those? And what kind of fuses? Box, etc? I’m running a PL400 on ADC 910’s and am in fear of hurt my beloved speakers. Obviously new here!

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
That isn't my speaker protection box. When I borrowed the Phase Linear 700B, the speaker protection box came with it. Doug (fitz43) built it and lent me his amp.

Nando.

MrRags

New Around These Parts
That isn't my speaker protection box. When I borrowed the Phase Linear 700B, the speaker protection box came with it. Doug (fitz43) built it and lent me his amp.

Nando.
Thank you. I’m new on this page and have found navigation difficult. I’ll try to find fitz43

Elite-ist

Administrator, (and straight-up pimp stick!)
Staff member
No problem. You could introduce yourself in the "Introductions" sub-forum and we could help you with answering your questions and find out what your audio interests are.

nando.

mlucitt

This may be a semi hijack of this thread... Joe jumped in on the phenomenon of reactance as it relates to the way the impedance from the speakers see the AC signal that drives the speakers to produce sound. And Fred stated, "I've always thought of impedance as the AC equivalent to resistance in a DC circuit." And I think this is generally true.

The way I understand how the AC signals coming out of our PL700Bs is that perfect resistors possess resistance, but not reactance. Perfect inductors and perfect capacitors possess reactance but no resistance. All components possess impedance when conducting AC, so, it makes sense to translate the component values of our crossovers and speakers (resistance, inductance, capacitance) into common terms of impedance as the first step in analyzing how our speakers work at different frequencies.

That aside, when we test into dummy loads, we use wire wound resistors. Is that inductance a problem at 1 KHz? Can a SPICE model be used to replicate what happens when we substitute a purely resistive 8 Ohm dummy load for the impedance of our speakers and how this affects the amplifier under test? Assuming a test signal of 1 KHz (we all use that, right?), then should we be adding capacitance and inductance in series with our resistive dummy load to better (safer) test the amplifier?

I read about a guy who used (4) 3500 Watt water heater elements with a resistance of about 16 Ohms each, in parallel he had a very high power 4 Ohm dummy load.