700B and speaker impedance

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Yep, but the amp still sees it as low resistance does it not??
No, it sees it as either current or voltage but not power Lee. If it was resistance, it would see it as power. The low frequency one is the resonance of the low frequency driver. It is like a bell, it does not take much energy to get it singing at its natural frequency.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Ah....a resonance dip, ok....during resonance the power requirement drops, therefore impedence drops.....or is it the other way around....

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I've always thought of impedance as the AC equivalent to resistance in a DC circuit. After googling the topic I see impedance is much more complicated. I'll leave that to the electrical engineers.

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I've always thought of impedance as the AC equivalent to resistance in a DC circuit. After googling the topic I see impedance is much more complicated. I'll leave that to the electrical engineers.
Hi Fred
Audio output is an AC circuit, multifrequency but always AC (unless things go bad). Resistance just burns power up in the form of heat. Reactive (impedance) stores up energy and gives it back to the source in many cases. Often that give back results in generation of heat by the source. Resistance is rarely purely resistance, reactive is rarely purely reactive.

nelsress

Journeyman
Always learning here

Thanks Joe, I never fail to learn something here, you're a wealth of good information and always willing to share it while at the same time never talking down to anyone.
You've already touched on running two 12/2 romex for two different 20 amp circuits for running two of these beasts. It's the way to go. DO NOT USE 10/2 romex and a 30 amp 220v circuit, it's NEVER a good way to go.
They're not Kappa 9's but my WOPL 400 has no problem whatsoever driving my RS II's so hearing that a 700 handles the Kappas easily does not surprise me at all. Is that a WOPL'd 700 or a standard 700, btw?

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?

Attachments

R1200S

Journeyman
Tagline
Smoke and mirrors baby!
How are those fans mounted on the heat sinks? Is it just a friction fit or are there mechanical fasteners holding the assembly on there?

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
Thanks for the fan info guys! I'm really diggin' Derrick from down under's lighted set up with that cool controller for 6 fans :blob8:

I hate the led meters on the SAE! Really, really hate them!! Anyhoo, pushing it a bit hard right now, cheap fan keeping it cool, these Summit's can suck some serious power. Being a 'stat the put out as much from the back as the front so...need twice as much to sound the same as those box things with those round thingies :shaking2:

I am soooo ready to hear what everyone here raves about with my 'Babies'!!!

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I got a couple fans and used some 1X4 to frame them I just set it behind the amp on the shelf works real well the PL runs very cool when opening it up

jbeckva

Admin/Server Dude MAA Guy
Staff member
Tagline
WassupYa Mang?
Hi..i am a new user here. You've already touched on running two 12/2 romex for two different 20 amp circuits for running two of these beasts. It's the way to go. DO NOT USE 10/2 romex and a 30 amp 220v circuit, it's NEVER a good way to go. They're not Kappa 9's but my WOPL 400 has no problem whatsoever driving my RS II's so hearing that a 700 handles the Kappas easily does not surprise me at all. Is that a WOPL'd 700 or a standard 700, btw?
Either I am seeing double, or you are a bot.. . Enjoy the spam o matic sledge hammer coming down on your head...

:thin:

orange

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Broken beyond repair but highly affable
Use it judiciously, I think Bike Forums owners (vB's as well, Internet Brands) 'Forgot About Spam' and we get the same stuff/different 'member' almost every day.

I suspect we'll all soon long for the daze when alcohol, cars and girls were our main trouble/fun. Oh well. WE'VE been pretty lucky with that problem here.