700 Series II with 700B transformer

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Well Fred, you have the cure for that. Grab a Joe chassis and get after it!!

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
I put the backplanes in the series II's all the time. Snug but they work fine. The transformers are the same you just use a different tap for the meters.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
The 700B's have 6 volt tap for the lights. A ser ii has 12 volt taps...

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I put the backplanes in the series II's all the time. Snug but they work fine. The transformers are the same you just use a different tap for the meters.
Probably could jam 'em. Really like Joe's case though. Good excuse to go that way. And compared to the cost of the project it's pretty minimal.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, 6.3vdc (for 700B) and 9V (??) (for series II) but Joe's chassis wont cure that. The chassis he has will work and fit either Transformer.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Probably could jam 'em. Really like Joe's case though. Good excuse to go that way. And compared to the cost of the project it's pretty minimal.
Joe's chassis IS BAD ASS though. I love using them. Great features and friggin sturdy. and the best part??? NO RUST OR DENTS.....

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
B transformers fit series two just fine. Backplane will fit but tight. If to snug just bend the the flanges a very little bit, like .010". Or sand the back plates a very little bit. The copper is back from the edges and you can see it if you put it up to a light. I have tow with rev B backplane no problem. I had problem with Rev A but got them in ok.

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I have several series two that say B on the transformer cover with gold lettering large label, I guess they used up stock before moving to new ones. The buffer emcee on mine are steel cover is labeled B dicast sink covers have small silver lettering serial number labels

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
Now that I may have put my foot in my mouth about using the B transformer as it may be the same size but the meter board voltage is only half of what the seriesII needs of 12volts from what has been posted saying the B light circuit is only 6 volts. I have now a B transformer I want to power seriesII meters in my upcoming MONO 700 build. Any sujestions anyone?? I have found independent triac transformer to power the boards if I can find room , but will there be problems with the ground etc. doing this. An other idea is a 2x transformer and just boos the existing 6v to 12 v if the core can handle 12VA (that is double the required 12v at 1/2 amp for over kill)

hope some one has already figured this one out. Please post it if have
glen

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
I tucked a small transformer in between the caps on the Larrt's 700 to power the AmpsLabs DC protect board will no problrms...

grapplesaw

Tagline
---
I think this is my solution to using the B transformer
I can use a WO Meyer board with LEDs which I may have to cut to fit.

Attachments