700 Series II Meters

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
anybody know anything about the series II meters??? Both meters with no input are setting at about 25-30 watts. They work ok when music is playing but never go below that. Is the LED drivers shot?? I have not dicked with one yet. I think the book says to adjust them but the adjustments do not do much. Otherwise change Q301-304 and Z301... sounds like a shotgun situation....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
oh, no crazy indication i.e... bias at 350mv, no offset.... it's a new series II WOPL... Sounds killer otherwise, just a dicked meter reading....

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I saw the other thread on these meters but his didn't work at all. mine are just reading high and both are doing the exact same thing. what are the chances of the meters failing the exact same way??? Vegas odd say WTF...

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
maybe it has something to do with the permeability of an Iron Core transformer and AFU hysteresis..... or was that hysterectomy.... now I'm Bud light.... Babbeling..

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Narrowed it down to the Right meter board, not the UAA170's for sure. The right meter supplies power for both meters so it must be in the power circiuit. It's like it's clamped at a higher than normal voltage. I swapped out the right meter and both meters now work, all is good. Don't have time now to troubleshoot further, gotta pack up my stuff for the move. Not much time left here.

Last edited:

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Narrowed it down to the Right meter board, not the UAA170's for sure. The right meter supplies power for both meters so it must be in the power circiuit. It's like it's clamped at a higher than normal voltage. I swapped out the right meter and both meters now work, all is good. Don't have time now to troubleshoot further, gotta pack up my stuff for the move. Not much time left here.
Time is the greatest enemy Perry. Hope you have a smooth move. Unfortunately you will have more to pack with the recent shipment to you :)

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
I would rather throw out furniture than WOPL parts Joe.... I got the room.............. The wife may get a little crazy but.............. :violent1:

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
anybody know anything about the series II meters??? Both meters with no input are setting at about 25-30 watts. They work ok when music is playing but never go below that. Is the LED drivers shot?? I have not dicked with one yet. I think the book says to adjust them but the adjustments do not do much. Otherwise change Q301-304 and Z301... sounds like a shotgun situation....

Perry, I just fixed a 400 series II with the exact same problem. It turned out to be the 1uf 50v cap on the right display board. I replaced it with a 1uf 100v cap.

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yep, eye candy (Meters)... If I rebuilt all them meters, I'd be into the amps for another 10 hours plus parts. The schematics suck and half the time don't match the boards...... EYE CANDY BOYS.... I got a picture of grandma/both sides in mine.... She was hot though....

MarkWComer

Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Meters are cool- hypnotic to watch. Spectrum analyzers, too.

Do you remember outboard meters? Onkyo U30 and Realistic APM-200? Still, I have a hard time thinking these are really accurate.

Last edited:

Northwinds

Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Ed was talking to me about this when he had mine apart. He said he matches the meter movement and instead of setting it with a 1 or 10khz tone, he said Dean said they should be set with 200khz tone since that is where most of the music is so it would be more accurate. I may have the kHz mixed up with Hz. It's hard to digest and retain so much of the stuff he was telling me about when he was here. I guess he's coming again next week to pick up Sabbitha to address the meters so I might be ampless, he might have a loaner

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
My left cylon meter is the one that does not move, right works perfectly
In the two instances that I've had issues with the series II meters, both were fixed by replacing a bad cap. I fixed one that had issues like yours and I believe it was C311 which is a 4.7uf 35v axial cap.

hayabusa

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Meters are cool- hypnotic to watch. Spectrum analyzers, too.

I agree, they are cool to watch.

I have a few amps that don't have meters and that's fine. However, an amp that has meters that don't work, bothers the shit out of me!

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
Yeah, they were never accurate. analogs ran way behind the power, digitals not as much but they were all off. It gave the stoners something to look at while drooling into their bibs.