700 B WOPL New build Question

Northwinds

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Fondler errrr... fan of all Nav's avatars
Or a Perreaux SA3... NO SM series, NO 2 series. SA3 or nothing. Would love to see a shootout between the Perreaux and the Acurus. A few AK members have been to my house and brought different preamps to try on the 400s and the Clair over the last two years. The Perreaux bitchslapped them all, especially in the phono section. She's still bone stock never been serviced. I just lost the power light recently, would love to get that soft blue glow going again

stuwee

Flying the Vista Cruiser up there... RIP
What is the difference between the RL11 and the RL10?

Enjoy that 700 Matteo!! Pre-amps are a whole other ball game...

Btw, we are talking about the Acurus pre-amps RL11 and RL10

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
What is the difference between the RL11 and the RL10?

Enjoy that 700 Matteo!! Pre-amps are a whole other ball game...

Btw, we are talking about the Acurus pre-amps RL11 and RL10
RL-11 has a remote, no Phono , The L 10 (Not RL10) has NO Remote and no Phono also. Pretty much the same-o same-o.

Northwinds

Tagline
That is why I have not really pursued an Acurus, lack of phono stage and the added expense of buying a SUT makes it not such a deal (unless you have money laying around to invest in one). This is not a problem for folks who don't really spin records, you can also get away with one of those Realistic preamps that allow you to use a MM or MI cart TT. They are great little boxes and some people have modded the gainstage to allow for MC

I still want your Mitsubishi pre Perry, I keep looking at it on eBay, so freaking cool looking. That would be one I would want to pair with a 700B WOPL

Last edited:

WOPL Sniffer

Tagline
Screw it
That is why I have not really pursued an Acurus, lack of phono stage and the added expense of buying a SUT makes it not such a deal (unless you have money laying around to invest in one). This is not a problem for folks who don't really spin records, you can also get away with one of those Realistic preamps that allow you to use a MM or MI cart TT. They are great little boxes and some people have modded the gainstage to allow for MC

I still want your Mitsubishi pre Perry, I keep looking at it on eBay, so freaking cool looking. That would be one I would want to pair with a 700B WOPL
Ive had it hooked to the WOPL (WOPL's) for all of this year. It's great. I took it apart and cleaned/lubed the switches/pots, buffed out the meter lenses, and cleaned it inside with kerosene and Ajax......... It will do the job very well.

Last edited:

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
I think it's done....

Gentlemen,

Thank you to all that posted reply's to my "new build" questions .... This amp is dangerous ! I can overdrive my Paradigm Studio 100 V5's without to much effort.... The power reserve is incredible...

Posted are some pics of the WOPL 700B and my system...

Cheers ! :blob5:

Mattoe.

Attachments

mattoe

Journeyman
Tagline
Don't let any smoke out !
Speaker Suggestions anyone ?

Gentlemen,

Now that my WOPL 700B is finished and all set up back as the heart of my system I can easily overpower my Paradigm studio 100V5's .... What are you guys with 700B's using for speakers?
I had thought about Cerwin Vega XLS 215's but I'm worried about loosing some of the accuracy that my Studios have .... I need both ! An audiophile quality speaker that can handle the bass that the 700B can produce.... Any experiences and or suggestions ??? :roll:

Mattoe.

Northwinds

Tagline
I have no problems using CV D9's, especially since I changed the tweeters to Heppner Dhorms, no more fatigue and the shriek is gone. I also have a set of CV E-712's that need nothing. They are very articulate and actually go a little lower in bass response then the D9s. As much as I hate to admit it, they are a better speaker out of the box then the D9's when new but only handle 300w vs the 400w that the D9's can handle. Little upgrades help the D9s immensely

Billboard

Journeyman
Tagline
---
I run a pair of Ohm Model I speakers, rated to 1000 watts, three tweeters each a mid and a sub. Placement not that critical. Only downside is they are kind of rare to find a decent set for sale. I bought a set of of the list and have only found one other pair in 2 years of searching. You can still buy rebuilt models direct from Ohm

Pluse Ohm is still supporting these, after 40 years you can still get parts for anything that may go wrong.

Geegz

Journeyman
Tagline
---there is no replacement for displacement
Currently running Klipsch KG5.5's and a pair of KG4.5's. The 5.5's are plenty alone and they are fully supported by Bob Crites if any upgrades are needed like titanium diaphragms or upgraded crossovers, mine are currently all stock and work fine, 100 watts continuous - 500 watts peaks. When I go crazy I turn on #2 WOPL and fill in with the 4.5's., same power ratings just one woof per cabinet on the 4.5's.....the 5.5's have dual woof's.

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
A pair of homebrew HEAVILY modified K-Horns....will physically SMACK you in the chest..,.,.

100 wattts continuous ----LOL...