60 HZ Buzz from Left Channel

braxus

Journeyman
I haven't been able to pinpoint what is causing this yet, so I'm looking for some ideas. I'm getting a 60hz buzz coming from the left channel on my speakers. It only appears when I turn the preamp on (amp is already on). It gets louder when the source player engages, or if I switch to other sources like vinyl. I use a Monster Power conditioner and I don't know why I'd be getting a buzz, since that unit is supposed to filter that out. Yet there it is. My system has been recently changed with a couple components, so I cannot say if cabling is causing this or not. But the preamp is getting that buzz. It gets really loud when I put vinyl on the selector. Could my power conditioner be faulty? Or is this downstream from that? It only did this recently and we did have a power disruption in the last 2 weeks. Without unhooking everything to see what is doing what, any suggestions before I go at it?

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I haven't been able to pinpoint what is causing this yet, so I'm looking for some ideas. I'm getting a 60hz buzz coming from the left channel on my speakers. It only appears when I turn the preamp on (amp is already on). It gets louder when the source player engages, or if I switch to other sources like vinyl. I use a Monster Power conditioner and I don't know why I'd be getting a buzz, since that unit is supposed to filter that out. Yet there it is. My system has been recently changed with a couple components, so I cannot say if cabling is causing this or not. But the preamp is getting that buzz. It gets really loud when I put vinyl on the selector. Could my power conditioner be faulty? Or is this downstream from that? It only did this recently and we did have a power disruption in the last 2 weeks. Without unhooking everything to see what is doing what, any suggestions before I go at it?
Ground loops are the first thing to look for. Also any connection to a cable data/TV connection must be isolated from your audio system or you will get 60 Hz hum. Your power conditioner will do nothing for the symptom you describe.