400 Series II (standard) repair

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
I have 5 or 6 unconverted amps in the closet so thought I'd play around with one to see if I could get it going non-WOPL mode. First thing I noticed was repair work replaced all the outputs on the left side of the amp and all the emitter resistors as well. With ceramic. Then I noticed that each channel is supposed to have a 10 ohm resistor that you set bias across. This one only has a single 10 ohm on the repaired side. Another 1 ohm resistor coming off the attached point for emitter resistors on the repaired side. On the un-repaired side both resistors are 1 ohm coming off the emitter resistor connect point. I've attached photos of both sides and the service manual. Are divergences between the manual and the amp like that common?

Attachments

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Brown (1) - Black (0) - Black (x1) is 10 Ohms. The fourth band is Silver and gives a 10% tolerance. The reference I have (IEC 60062) shows the fifth band may indicate a temperature coefficient (ppm/K) and will be Brown (100 ppm), Red (50 ppm), Orange 15 ppm), or Yellow (25 ppm). I believe you have 100 Ohm, 10% Tolerance, 25 ppm Temperature Coefficient resistors in you unit. They often measure less than that due to age and heat cycling.

If you have another standard that shows a fifth band with a different meaning, I am all ears. Not saying you are wrong, at all. Mine were just like yours and measured low as well.

Last edited:

FredR

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
WTF?
Another question. The interconnect diagram 2-7 shows only two 10 ohm resistors, but this amp contains four. Maybe Ed can help.