3 way set of top shelf drivers for your daily driver

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
After laying out all my fun budget on a 400 and a 700B.....I gotta part with some of my favorite toys to start my WOPL adventure. Gonna hate myself for parting with these guys. I have for sale a 3 way set of SEAS Lotus drivers. For those in the know, these are the in in-vehicle version of their acclaimed Excel's. Oversized 6 1/2" mid bass drivers, 4" midrange, and 1" tweet's. Magnesium cone's. In one word.......truth!!! Great recordings sound like you are right there......not so good recordings....you will hear every flaw revealed. I will try and get some pics up today.....gotta dig'em out. My prior job had me driving close to 100k miles a year and these kept my sanity intact. I used a active crossover and so no crossovers are included. If you spend a lot of time in your vehicle and appreciate true HIgh Def sound quality......this is a golden opportunity. Paid $200+ a driver when new.....will sell the whole set for $800. If truly interested....PM me, I have a pair of incredible amps to drive them and a Audison Bit1 for all the eq/processing/time delay options you could ask for. This setup won me a couple trophies for sound quality type competitions....but the actual enjoyment these provided to my ears was well worth the price of admission.

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Thank you for the link! Can you tell us more about the vehicle you had them in & where/how mounted? My 40 year old stock speakers leave a bit to be desired.:happy8:
I'm not crazy about cutting holes in the door panels or dash.
I'm just kicking tires here, but am going to put some serious thought into it. My 99 Deville's stock system sounds real nice . The 77 Coupe...............not so much!
But then, the Delco radio DOES have CB!.
Thanks, Brad

P.S. I'm new here too & I don't even have the 700b yet. This would be a setback.............Heh...Heh

00i0i_blOfX1khmMZ_600x450 (Medium).jpg 00i0i_blOfX1khmMZ_600x450.jpg

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Thank you for the link! Can you tell us more about the vehicle you had them in & where/how mounted? My 40 year old stock speakers leave a bit to be desired.:happy8:
I'm not crazy about cutting holes in the door panels or dash.
I'm just kicking tires here, but am going to put some serious thought into it. My 99 Deville's stock system sounds real nice . The 77 Coupe...............not so much!
But then, the Delco radio DOES have CB!.
Thanks, Brad

P.S. I'm new here too & I don't even have the 700b yet. This would be a setback.............Heh...Heh

View attachment 29792 View attachment 29793

Hey sure bradrock.....always glad to brag.....er, share my experiences. I had them in a 2008 GMC Sierra. The 6.5's didn't take much get shoehorned in. They dropped into the door locations with no real modifications....I did have to make my own adaptors to get an airtight seal
but that was not real hard at all. I went the extra mile, and formed fiberglass
Enclosures to fit the kickpanels and aimed each 4" driver centered above the center console. The tweeters were first put in the factory locations in the a-pillars....but windshield played havoc with a nasty 2nd order distortion pattern I couldn't shake, creating some big holes in my frequency response. My brother turned the pods they are pictured in and I had those again aimed above the center console. To bring out their best.... I used a processor made by Audison called the Bit1 to handle all the crossover functions and used the time delay to smooth out the delivery and create a massive front stage that sounded like whoever was singing was standing on my hood!!! The Bit1 also offered 31 bands of parametric equalization and with the help of a RTA..... and was able to tame most resonance frequencies and create a pretty even response. I drove the 6 1/2's with 200 watts a channel and the 4's and tweet's were drove with 125 watts per driver. Now, I will be honest....it took me about 3-4 months to get it all dialed in, and I learned quite a bit along the way. Not to scare you off, but to make a car sound like you are sitting at home in your recliner listening to your favorite set speakers.....takes a lot of work. I stripped the interior of the truck the weekend after I brought it home from the lot and deadened all the metal surfaces with a rubber butyl type sound deadener. Really tamed the roadnoise and killed a lot of nasty reflections. I used rubber deflection pads in the doors behind the 6 1/2's to kill standing wave issues....I spent countless hours tuning it and getting it all dialed in, but the end result was a truck that I Put over 300,000 miles and miss dearly to this day. Now that I am older, fatter, and lazier.....I would take it to a reputable shop and let them have at it......ALSO.....car audio is a whole 'nother rabbit hole you can get sucked down real quick. I am sitting on a pair of 4 channel amps that were shipped to England to Gordon of Genesis Audio fame and modded that sound simply astonishing. The Bit1 didn't come cheap....and I changed headunits more than I change underwear......till I found what worked best for my taste. I also have a 2500 watt surfboard built better than the space shuttle and required 2 batteries and more than one paycheck worth of 1/0 power cables.....it's a rabbit hole I tell ya!!!!

Last edited:

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That sounds like one tasty rabbit worth chasing. I'm curoius what amps did you use? and did you run a sub or were the 6 1/2's the bass? also what head unit did you go with?

Last edited:

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, rode in a Hummer in Phoenix that had Batteries in the wheelwells in the back, 1/0 cables and a 200 amp alternator......AND....a McIntosh , in dash CD player....only one I've ever seen, outstanding car audio system...

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
That sounds like one tasty rabbit worth chasing. I'm curoius what amps did you use? and did you run a sub or were the 6 1/2's the bass? also what head unit did you go with?
First... let me be honest.....I have been chasing that damn rabbit since 82....and it still courses thru these veins :tard::tard::tard: thru the years, I have used most all brands...... McIntosh, Audison, Arc, Linear Power........and most the rest. If you can score a Rockford Fosgate 8225 (has a goldish face) i believe was the model number....it was made by Denon and hands down my favorite deck..Simple and easy layout and sounds like a million bucks. Old Eclipse decks are pretty sweet too. For amps....I love some Audison or Genesis dual mono's.....or old school Linear Power and Early Soundstream (find some Class A's and you will be in heaven)......but the amps I am hoarding are a little boutique brand called Zuki. Basically linear Power layout inside with audiophile caps and op-amps after I got it modified in England. clean 125 X 4 or 250 X 2 (actual measured was a tad higher after mods). I had a 15" TC Audio sub and 2500 watts of a Zuki mono flamethrower attached to give me "adaquate" bottom end.....I was pushing above 140dB's when I competed in bass competitions....but I always was more of a sound quality vs boom boom kinda guy. I have a real good friend that has teamed up with Gordon of Genesis and now has started a small amp company called Revelation Audio. I think they are on Facebook publicly, i am in the "private page" on there and have some good insight on what they are producing. Expensive....but top notch...... Think of a WOPL'ized Genesis amp :sad5::sad5::sad5::blob3::blob3::blob3:. I have 4 of the 4 channel Zuki's...2 modded, two bone stock.....if my arm was twisted hard enough, I may part with the unmodded pair. The Zuki mono surfboard (literally over 3 feet long and close to 50 lbs) is getting buried with me...that thing can drive nails and smile doing it. But to be real...for 50-60Hz and lower.....you can get away a lot cheaper than what that thing cost me. I used an Orion mono 1500 watt class D that did the job fine. TC audio is defunct now....but being a Boutique audio kinda guy ( I hate big box anything) I would highly suggest Stereo Integrity or SSA subs. For processing....Audison or Arc get my vote, but there are others out there nowadays I haven't heard yet.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Yep, rode in a Hummer in Phoenix that had Batteries in the wheelwells in the back, 1/0 cables and a 200 amp alternator......AND....a McIntosh , in dash CD player....only one I've ever seen, outstanding car audio system...
Subaru of Australia offered upgraded sound systems with factory Mcintosh heads :love4:

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Mac was into the game for a couple years they had 2 different version of amps and made some heads....good...but there were better....Adcom also produced car audio amps for a couple years that are outstanding if you can find them.....Pioneer had a series called ODR, Sony with their ES, and Alpine with their F1 series would be high on my search list. Alpine F1 drivers used top end Scan-Speak drivers modified for car use in their early years.

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Sounds like some very nice and very exotic stuff. Most of which I'm not familiar with. I have my old system from my old Bronco, sitting, waiting for another vehicle worthy, but nothing I have will fit it a this point.

finebar4

Journeyman
Tagline
---
well.....I think I have a new place to hang my hat these days so I am just a PM away if anyone wants to delve deep into the subject. I competed in late 80's early 90's then again in the early 2000's.....I may be able to point you along the right path to avoid some of those damn rabbit holes that just kept sucking me in like a shop vac on steroids. if I can't answer any question.....I have some friends that probably can :)

Bradrock

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
---I run with Scissors
Sounds like some very nice and very exotic stuff. Most of which I'm not familiar with. I have my old system from my old Bronco, sitting, waiting for another vehicle worthy, but nothing I have will fit it a this point.
I drive an 85 Bronco. Could you do a thread on your system? I just came across some plans in an old 'speaker builder' magazine for full size Bronco's.

Thanks, Brad

Attachments

Last edited:

Netfly

Journeyman
Tagline
---
Hi Bradrock. Sure I'd be glad to. My Bronco was an 85 too.
85 BRONCO 003.jpg

I'll put it in the car audio section.