120V to 115V conversion??

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
I am running my whole system off of one plug 15amp outlet. The way my system is growing I will be tripping the circuit and thinking of running a whole new line off the fuse box so I could have 2 15amp circuits for power. Sitting right behind my stereo rack is a 220V outlet. It uses a typical 220V arc welder plug, I never use the outlet as I have another one on it's own circuit at the other end of the shop. Been looking around at options. Looks like I would have to buy an adapter from the welding outlet to the normal 3 prong plug to plug a converter in. Anyone know if these converters are ok to use?

WOPL Sniffer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Screw it
Yup, that's how I wired my Amp Shack... Took the 50 amp RV outlet, split the 2 hots and ran one each down the sides of the shop to my outlets..... No power problems at all........... I can't wire permanently... The county wants their share when you put a shack on a cement pad, and wire it like the house.... Friggin taxes....

So, the amp shack is on blocks, and the power comes from the RV plug on the side of the house.

mlucitt

Veteran and General Yakker
Just keep in mind that if you split a 220V outlet into two 110V power sources, the black and red "Line" wires will be 180 degrees out of phase. If connected to components of the same system, there may be some minor differences in voltage because of unequal load distribution inside the breaker box. And, if you have the occasion to measure the supply voltages, you could be seeing 220V (for example in two power strips).

For larger systems (above 15 Amps) I recommend finding another outlet in the room from the same side (phase) of the breaker box but on a separate breaker. If you don't have an outlet on a separate breaker, you can run a length of 12-3 insulated cable through the basement or in the attic to an empty breaker. If you don't have an empty breaker, you could add one if you have a blank spot in the breaker box. Of course, you want to open the main power breaker before you attempt any of this.

roccus

Chief Journeyman
Tagline
You'll blow your ears out kid
Just split the 220vac into 2 110vac legs, change it to a 4 gang and you'll be good to go.
I am trying to picture this in my head, this would use the 220V circuit breaker still? But you have 2 110 outlets??

laatsch55

Administrator,
Staff member
Tagline
Halfbiass...Electron Herder and Backass Woof
Yep, same thing I have going to my rack. 240 house voltage to your panel is two 120's out of phase with each other. In your breaker panel each row is pulling from a different leg, some alternate legs. I used a duplex 50 amp to feed the #6 going to the rack..