100 watt resistors needed for a one time job - did not expect them to look like this.

62vauxhall

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
No such things as bad days, just bad moments
I am at the tail end of a small project. I replaced two relays and all electrolytic capacitors (100uF and smaller) in a Sanyo 100 watt MOSFET amplifier. The service manual describes an adjustment proceedure that calls for a 100 watt 8 ohm resistor across + and - speaker terminals.

The resistors I've seen online that aren't hideously expensive look unfamilliar being encased in a heat sink. I guess I'm overly cautious but I don't want to spend $50 on two resistors for a five minute job and then find out I've bought the wrong type.

Would this style of resistor be suitable as a dummy speaker load?

100 watt 8 ohm Ohmite resistor.jpg

62vauxhall

Tagline

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'll take that as an OK to use this resistor type.

There is a piece of aluminum here I can attach a resistor to and I will if gets overly warm. I don't think the proceedure I need it for will take very long. Just a matter of adjusting a couple of pots while monitoring voltage.
Those resistors will not dissipate 100W without a heatsink

1711718196154.png

wattsabundant

Chief Journeyman
Attached are photos of a 7.2 ohm load bank using water heaters. Here is a Home Depot link. 120 volt-2000 watt heater

Note that the elements must be submerged in a full bucket of water. At $10 each, It's reliable, as long as the bucket is full of water, and cheap. Without water, the plastic lid will melt in a few seconds.

Attachments

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Attached are photos of a 7.2 ohm load bank using water heaters. Here is a Home Depot link. 120 volt-2000 watt heater

Note that the elements must be submerged in a full bucket of water. At $10 each, It's reliable, as long as the bucket is full of water, and cheap. Without water, the plastic lid will melt in a few seconds.
Don't ask Don how he knows... :)

62vauxhall

Tagline
Well, I've been proven wrong before and I appreciated the DIY suggestions but I'm going with those chassis mount 100 watt resistors.

If I forsaw myself needing large dummy speaker loads in the future, it might prompt me cobble one together. This is where I could be mistaken but I imagine those resistors should be OK for the length of time it I think it will take to adjust a couple of pots.

FWIW, I checked the local building supply store and did not see a 2000W water heater element. There are 3000W elements for $30 each and I'd need to scare up a bucket, a hole saw and whatever wire is needed. I've got none of that stuff handy so would likely need to buy it all.

A Sanyo Plus P55 is not an example of a super duper amplifier.

Sanyo Plus P55.jpg

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
Well, I've been proven wrong before and I appreciated the DIY suggestions but I'm going with those chassis mount 100 watt resistors.

If I forsaw myself needing large dummy speaker loads in the future, it might prompt me cobble one together. This is where I could be mistaken but I imagine those resistors should be OK for the length of time it I think it will take to adjust a couple of pots.

FWIW, I checked the local building supply store and did not see a 2000W water heater element. There are 3000W elements for $30 each and I'd need to scare up a bucket, a hole saw and whatever wire is needed. I've got none of that stuff handy so would likely need to buy it all.

A Sanyo Plus P55 is not an example of a super duper amplifier.

View attachment 80803
Yup, that's a baby...