what are you listening to?

MarkWComer

Veteran and General Yakker
Tagline
Victim of the record bug since age five
Translation, look for a loose connection...
Yup, got it…
It’s been sitting idle for far too long, so I’m going to give it a low current/low voltage trickle charge to the filter caps and open it to check rail and circuit voltages. I don’t expect any major issues, it’s just been dormant for a long time.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
What did you think of Dazzle Ships? I didn’t like it, too many “Atari noises” and not enough music…
This one got a 3/5. This means I need to listen to it again. I did put in on today and heard it while working around the house and still thought meh compared to other discs and other OMD.

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
Today's Heard
redid the OMD Dazzle and some others and this one
The Orb - Moonbuilding 2703 AD

After these played, loaded these.

Papa Wemba - Emotion
Pantha Du Prince - The Triad
Pearl Jam - Yield
Peter Gabriel - So
Photek - Form & Function

8991XJ

Chief Journeyman
I was listening to Echoes(.org) the other night, most nights but John Diliberto played Karl Hyde and mentioned he was a founder of Underworld. Recognized that name from the previous CDs Tom has sent me and know some of them are good. Checked my discogs and well I have that Karl Hyde disc and have 12 (one dup) Underworld discs and have liked 4* four of them and accepted 2* a couple more. Since most of what I have heard in this new addition to my collection so far has been ok but not really a lot of 4 or 5 star discs, I'm looking forward to the last 25% of these discs cause I'll have some Underworld to enjoy.

Note, I have pulled Miles Davis due to volume, Classical, stuff I already have from the play pile so the higher rated discs haven't had a chance yet.

More to come.

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
I'll admit to being a major fan of Bob Seger since the day I first heard Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on WCOL in Columbus, Ohio in 1965 or so when I was 9 or 10 and then having my musical life stood on its head when he released Beautiful Loser 10 years later when I was working the 7-midnight shift on WSIM-FM. And while I've always appreciated his ability to chronicle life in tight stories, I remain impressed by the wisdom passed on from a lifetime of making those observances in Face The Promise (2006). I continue to come back to that album beyond all of his others and God knows, I love me some Roll Me Away. Too bad Face The Promise wasn't the commercial success of his earlier stuff as I'm of the opinion it's his most complete work.

Edit: get the album name correct.

Last edited:

J!m

Tagline
BOT
First I’ve heard of the distance. I suspect it is self-released and doesn’t have the horsepower of a big label behind it?

He is very well known and I never heard a peep…

Gepetto

Administrator
Staff member
Tagline
Old 'Arn Enthusiast
I'll admit to being a major fan of Bob Seger since the day I first heard Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on WCOL in Columbus, Ohio in 1965 or so when I was 9 or 10 and then having my musical life stood on its head when he released Beautiful Loser 10 years later when I was working the 7-midnight shift on WSIM-FM. And while I've always appreciated his ability to chronicle life in tight stories, I remain impressed by the wisdom passed on from a lifetime of making those observances in The Distance (2012). I continue to come back to that album beyond all of his others and God knows, I love me some Roll Me Away. Too bad The Distance wasn't the commercial success of his earlier stuff as I'm of the opinion it's his most complete work.
I agree Bob, that is Seeger's best work on The Distance. Love it every time I hear tunes from that release. I saw Seeger 2 nights back to back (the Garden and the Worcester Centrum) when he blew through New England within the last decade. The Centrum is the best for audio concerts.

Last edited:

Bob Boyer

Tagline
---
First I’ve heard of the distance. I suspect it is self-released and doesn’t have the horsepower of a big label behind it?

He is very well known and I never heard a peep…
Sorry, I'm an idiot. It's Face the Promise. The Distance has Roll Me Away on it, IIRC. #1 son in law has most of my Seger vinyl since he's a Michigan dude. Correcting the previous post now...

Another edit: just checked Wikipedia and it says Face the Promise went platinum. Must have done so without airplay as those are strong numbers. Wrong again.

Last edited: