Strictly for the headphone freaks

I've linked this site far and wide but not here yet I think, so I thought I'd share it...
Here

One of the most useful websites for testing headphones. There are quite a few headphone test sites but Stefane's is one of the most comprehensive and complete for the average user.

I have way too many sets. 40+ at the last count. I'm a big fan of the 'Made in ireland' era of the Sennheiser HD5/6** headphones and regularly buy them up and refurbish them. There's a half-baked plan to start selling them in combination with my own headphone cables at some point and that will be a nice way to offload them and make some much-needed space in the workshop. But that's for later.

In any case they all go through a very thorough decontamination, refurbishment and renovation process including testing the drivers. Well, it's pointless doing all that work only to find out that the drivers are toast eh?
I also use Dr Chesky digital files in conjunction with a listening test using my own old ears, lol.
It would be nice to get hold of a Neumann binaural mic head in order to measure objectively and gain more accurate results that I could publish in the form of a certificate or something, but that might just render the enterprise a bit unprofitable. Dunno yet.

Attachments

Last edited:
I will send my Sennheiser HD 600 to you if/when it ever croaks. I would be interested in a new cable, I have stepped on mine too many times and it would be prudent to have a spare.
10% discount for Phoenix members @mclucitt!

I developed a cable especially for the Sennheiser 2-pin headphones. Uses heavier gauge OFC copper than the stock Senn cables (The Sennheiser stock cable is actually a decent cable in my view).
Mine uses SC 'Square' cable with twisted pair geometry. Totally neutral - adds nothing, takes nothing away.
https://www.etsy.com/listing/1581177184/the-sennz-cranium-headphone-cable-for

(This is a totally unintentional and impromtu, but still nonetheless thoroughly shameful and opportunistic promotion of one of my headphone cables. lol! thx mods)

04.JPG 14.JPG

Last edited:

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Excellent work Chris!

Sidenote: The 3,5mm jack connectors (Neutrik, I guess..) are a disaster using a mobile audio player when it is in a protector case...

Excellent work Chris!

Sidenote: The 3,5mm jack connectors (Neutrik, I guess..) are a disaster using a mobile audio player when it is in a protector case...
Thanks!
Most 3.5mm connectors take phone covers etc into account these days and there are extended connectors available for anything with a more extreme requirement.
I use these super-offset Meze 109 (TS) connectors a lot for those who have earthquake-proof phone connectors. Theyre also available as a TRS (source connector) variant:

IMG_20230726_112723_1.jpg DSC_0064_1.JPG

Miracle Mile

Veteran and General Yakker
Chris,

Have a closer look:

On the left the custom cable fitted with Rean connectors (bijna hetzelfde als Neuktrik) vs. the original Beyer Pro X cable (without the 6,5 adapter) on the right..

Any suggestions?

What I really like to have is a solid straight black cable with a length of 1,2m with decent 3,5 connectors on both sides, which don't give any problem with those soft protection cases on portable audio players,,

I use the Amphenol KS3PC TRS connector for people who need a bit of a stand-off to compensate for thick phone/DAP cases.
It has a 3.1mm length 'collar' with a 6mm diameter between the Sleeve-section and cylinder to facilitate a stand-off.
If you have a pair of calipers you could use those dimensions to see if it would be suitable.

However, it's not a be-all end-all solution as there is no set standard when it comes to case/protector dimensions etc.
Haven't had any complaints/returns so far when using it.
I don't have any in stock currently and Thomann (my Amphenol supplier) stopped selling them a while back.

I use those Rean connectors in your photo and they are actually excellent quality with a minimal overall capacitance impact and decent internal clamping. They now fall under the auspices of the Neutrik brand.

The connector in the above photo of one of my 'Coffee cranium' cables also has a collar, but it's only really suitable for a small diameter cable asin the photo.

ks3pc.jpg KS3PC td.jpg

Last edited: